Super moons

UFOs have a separate forum.
Pigeon

Super moons

Post by Pigeon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:58 pm

The second of three in row super moons is today.

Perigee is about an hour from now here but it's daylight. Going to watch the moonrise near sunset though. Should be worth a check and maybe a photo.

TD NEWS

Re: Super moons

Post by TD NEWS » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Please do, pigeon! I saw it last night and it was still 24 hours from full.

I might copy you and take a photo of the moon over here, too... That is, if it's not obscured by that "temporary fleet of UFOs" you alluded to earlier today. Dontya' just hate it when that happens?! Gotta' stand there like a mug and wait for it to all to go by just to take a damn photo of the moon! :facepalm:
ICELAND

TD NEWS

Post by TD NEWS » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:05 pm

THE FULL MOON (USING A CRAPPY DROID :facepalm: )
Attachments
THE FULL MOON (TAKEN USING A CRAPPY DROID)
THE FULL MOON (TAKEN USING A CRAPPY DROID)
IMG_2014-08-11 24.53.34.493.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 432 times
ICELAND

TD NEWS

Post by TD NEWS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:15 am

The above (↑) photo was taken using a cheapo Droid tablet. It really doesn't do well with very bright objects for some reason... I'm still puzzled as to what those two star-like dots are near the full moon, too. Despite not seeing ANYTHING near the moon when I stood there looking at it with my naked eyes, I could see them on my Droid's screen when I pointed its camera toward tonight's waxed lunar...

All very mysterious.
ICELAND

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:14 am

Moonrise in southern US

TD NEWS

Post by TD NEWS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:32 pm

^ You out-did me again, Owner-Dude.

Now my astronomer juices are (to a degree) flowing; I think I'll experiment again tonight and try using a few "filters"... I reckon I could take much better photos with my Droid if I placed a piece of transparent plastic film over the camera lense. I SURE wish I'd have thought about doing that last night when those two UFOs (seen in the photo) showed up! :facepalm:
ICELAND

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:41 pm

There was a thin layer of clouds which made the image a bit lower quality. Had to set the aperture and speed to get the exposure adjusted to keep the moon from being overly bright.

TD NEWS

Post by TD NEWS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:52 pm

^ Any ideas as-to how I can create a simillar effect for my (crappy) Droid, then?!...

As you can all see, I had waaay too much moonlight entering... :facepalm:
ICELAND

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm

i think it will depend on if you can set the exposure manually. The auto exposure on many cameras seems measure all the dark area and the selected settings then cause the moon to over exposed.

If you can't set it then maybe a hack. Try blocking the dark area so it measures only the moon. But if there isn't a way to set auto exposure without instantly taking the picture that probably isn't an option either. Some cameras allow a partial press of the shutter to set exposure then the completed press after a delay takes the picture.

TD NEWS

Post by TD NEWS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks, pigeon. Thing is though, is there's nooo way my Droid tablet will be able to do ANYTHING remotely as technical as you suggested, sir! I'll experiment with colour options on the Droid's photo menu but if nothing improves I'll try the "sweetie wrapper" technique I mentioned earlier. I dare say I'll lose a lot of detail unless I manage to get the transparency just right...

Did you take YOUR photo using an iphone, Owner-Dude...?
ICELAND