Bright spots on Ceres

UFOs have a separate forum.
Pigeon

Bright spots on Ceres

Post by Pigeon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Scientists are puzzled by a new image taken by NASA's Dawn spacecraft, which found two bright spots on the dwarf planet Ceres.

The spots are noticeably brighter than other parts of the surface, which looks to be rocky and pockmarked.

Ceres lies in an asteroid belt between the paths of Mars and Jupiter. A white area was previously seen in 2004, in an image taken by the Hubble Space Telescope. But new images show there are actually two spots, and scientists do not know what's causing them.

"Ceres' bright spot can now be seen to have a companion of lesser brightness, but apparently in the same basin," says Chris Russell, principal investigator for the Dawn mission that's based at the University of California, Los Angeles. "This may be pointing to a volcanolike origin of the spots, but we will have to wait for better resolution before we can make such geologic interpretations."

The image was taken on Feb. 19 from a distance of nearly 29,000 miles, NASA says. The Dawn craft will eventually enter into orbit around Ceres, promising even sharper images of the mysterious spots.

"The brightest spot continues to be too small to resolve with our camera, but despite its size it is brighter than anything else on Ceres. This is truly unexpected and still a mystery to us," said lead investigator Andreas Nathues of the framing camera team at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Gottingen, Germany.

Ceres is some 590 miles across, with a diameter that's wider at the equator than at the poles. Scientists have called it an "embryonic planet" whose development was stalled by the gravity of nearby Jupiter

Link

Pigeon

Re: Bright spots on Ceres

Post by Pigeon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Radio or quantum beacon

Royal

Post by Royal » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:58 am

Interesting response unless you are being sarcastic. I thought you are the hard science type.

You mean ice or reflective material.

I want to believe but I feel NASA is pulling our chain on this one. They would never release anything Top Secret worthy.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 am

I think it would odd that only those two spots have the material. At least no area near them does.

It will most likely have some common explanation but I still think there is the very small chance something has been to our solar system and left it's mark.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:51 am

A couple of ideas:

- if an ET presence has been in our solar system, this might be the result of a reporting system. Maybe the stray emission from the power source. Kept far enough away from Earth to avoid detection for a long time.

- if Mars was once different and harvested then it may have been a base.

- just an ET way station

- natural occurrence on the body

- some ET artifact

Royal

Post by Royal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:42 am

Pigeon wrote:A couple of ideas:

- if an ET presence has been in our solar system, this might be the result of a reporting system. Maybe the stray emission from the power source. Kept far enough away from Earth to avoid detection for a long time.

- if Mars was once different and harvested then it may have been a base.

- just an ET way station

- natural occurrence on the body

- some ET artifact

I just saw the press conference from Monday.

The speakers body language when trying to describe the lights were unlike the all knowing tightwads that I'm use to seeing. They actually looked puzzled, lending credibility to your ideas.

If power source, no greater source than an actual planetary body.

Some questions I may or not find answers for:

We can do spectral analysis for planets lights years away, but spectral analysis in our solar system is not available? Or how about the fact we can zoom in on nebulas and a ocean of galaxies and not zoom on a dwarf planet with little or no atmosphere? Too hard to track while in orbit?

Where is the original color scheme of brown and blue?

The bright spots appear to be at a high elevation to still illuminate past twilight... And almost keep the same intensity. Why the video edit? Appears to cut directly into the two lights without seeing the crater full rotate with the light.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping this is the greatest discovery of all time and will lend credibility to the mysterious aricebo message response:

Royal

Post by Royal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 am

Some possibilities:

Electrostatic sculpting of crater rims

Cryvolcano or other plume causing geologic feature causing the reaction of ionized/plasma gas.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 am

From the Big Bang Theory

"Circle, circle, dot, dot, now you have a cootie shot."

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:01 pm

Highly reflective material, like glass beads on movie screens. Possible the result of some odd volcanic activity.

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 am

If Dawn mission control are true nerds, they should prepare something good on 3.14