Older, Suburban and Struggling, ‘Near Poor’ Startle the Cens

Egg

Older, Suburban and Struggling, ‘Near Poor’ Startle the Cens

Post by Egg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:02 pm

They drive cars, but seldom new ones. They earn paychecks, but not big ones. Many own homes. Most pay taxes. Half are married, and nearly half live in the suburbs. None are poor, but many describe themselves as barely scraping by.

Down but not quite out, these Americans form a diverse group sometimes called “near poor” and sometimes simply overlooked — and a new count suggests they are far more numerous than previously understood.

When the Census Bureau this month released a new measure of poverty, meant to better count disposable income, it began altering the portrait of national need. Perhaps the most startling differences between the old measure and the new involves data the government has not yet published, showing 51 million people with incomes less than 50 percent above the poverty line. That number of Americans is 76 percent higher than the official account, published in September. All told, that places 100 million people — one in three Americans — either in poverty or in the fretful zone just above it.

After a lost decade of flat wages and the worst downturn since the Great Depression, the findings can be thought of as putting numbers to the bleak national mood — quantifying the expressions of unease erupting in protests and political swings. They convey levels of economic stress sharply felt but until now hard to measure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/us/ce ... .html?_r=1

lkwalker

Re: Older, Suburban and Struggling, ‘Near Poor’ Startle the

Post by lkwalker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:26 pm

This some sorta mystery? That the majority of Americans live paycheck to paycheck? WTF? Hahahahaha this is why I cancelled my scrip to the Times.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:28 pm

I agree. The american dream, as Carlin said, "It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:32 pm

And way before Carlin there was Thoreau. "The majority of men lead lives of quiet desperation.". It's been going on for a very long time.

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Yeah, I love that quote. I read something by Vonnegut where he's talks about he and a friend of his who was succesful in life saying how they are the lucky few.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:50 pm

The problem is the standards by which we measure 'success.'. True success is available to anyone. That was Thoreau's point.

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:51 pm

It really hit me the other day, we have to eat other beings to survive. We're predators. No wonder so many of us are fucked up. They feel like winners when they destroy others.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:54 pm

But really we don't have to do anything of the sort. It's all just a headspace that we acquire.

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Yeah, no doubt.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:21 pm

A couple of weeks ago I got a pain. I figured it was in my liver. So I google liver cancer. It turned out that I had at best maybe three months to live. I thought about that. I figured I'd at least get through Thanksgiving before I croaked. So I decided to prepare. I signed the bottom of my car titles and wrote a list of bank accounts and shit like that and put it all in an envelope marked, "important", and put it in the top drawer of my desk. At that point the pain morphed into a kidney pain. So I googled that. Same three months. So I lay down with a heating pad on my kidney and liver turned to high and waited for the grand tsunami. And then about a week ago it went away and inreturned to normal. And try as I might I couldn't get myself to care. Hahahahaha. In the meantime I'd given up drinking and now I've lost my taste for the shit altogether. Another little pleasure gone. Oh well... I think I may have really had a bad case of hypochondria. Or maybe gas. Go figure.