Tell me it ins't just a game

Pigeon

Tell me it ins't just a game

Post by Pigeon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:57 pm

News Corp. is reportedly trying to sell MySpace for $100 million, a fraction of the $580 million it originally paid for the social network in 2005. Parties interested in acquiring MySpace include private equity firm THL Partners, Redscout Ventures and Criterion Capital, owner of social network Bebo (the company AOL bought for $850 million and then sold for $10 million). Chinese Internet holding company Tencent is also reportedly interested, and so is MySpace co-founder Chris De Wolfe. What's not yet clear is what any of these companies plan to do with MySpace if a sale goes through.

Slashdot Link

580m to 100m, 850m to 10m. Seems stupid internet users make a few rich, a very few...

Egg

Re: Tell me it ins't just a game

Post by Egg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm only guessing here - myspace was HUGE at one point - I'm thinking FB put a couple of bullets into it. There was friendster before myspace - how many people remember that site?

What these bidders would want to do with it, I'm not sure - harvest information off the users, maybe....

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Correction:

BENews Corp. is reportedly trying to sell MySpace for a one day lease of a pickup truck and 42 shopping carts, a fraction of the $580 million it originally paid for the social network site.

Still betting the big move works out fine, no luck needed with friends.

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Pigeon wrote:

Correction:

BENews Corp. is reportedly trying to sell MySpace for a one day lease of a pickup truck and 42 shopping carts, a fraction of the $580 million it originally paid for the social network site.

Still betting the big move works out fine, no luck needed with friends.
I think BE was banned from Myspace :D

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:07 pm

This is another indication that with enough money, it has no value or is controlled by idiots. Betting on internet users...

Resident Contrarian

Post by 1972 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:26 pm

I read an article last month saying that by the end of the year MySpazz would be no more.

Too much bullshit; to many ads; to much corporate crap.

And FaceBook is following suit so something else will pop up I am sure.

I was thinking of calling it BEScreammmmmmscape.
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope." ~ P.J. O'Rourke

"God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance." ~ M. Twain

Royal

Post by Royal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:36 pm

1972 wrote:I read an article last month saying that by the end of the year MySpazz would be no more.

For sure.

MyFace will rebrand. Probably get some of it's old users back. It will be fun to see whether they cater to college students and professionals or the ________.

Resident Contrarian

Post by 1972 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Royal wrote:
1972 wrote:I read an article last month saying that by the end of the year MySpazz would be no more.

For sure.

MyFace will rebrand. Probably get some of it's old users back. It will be fun to see whether they cater to college students and professionals or the ______JEWS?__.
fixt
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope." ~ P.J. O'Rourke

"God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance." ~ M. Twain

Royal

Post by Royal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:43 pm

1972 wrote:
Royal wrote:

For sure.

MyFace will rebrand. Probably get some of it's old users back. It will be fun to see whether they cater to college students and professionals or the ______JEWS?__.
fixt
ahha

Simplifies it.

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:44 pm

myspace --> jewface?