Nasrallah on Libya

lkwalker

Nasrallah on Libya

Post by lkwalker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Dropping by to post this important essay from the Left in support of my contention that the Arab Revolutions represent indigenous uprisings and assertions of the rights of freedom rather than some sorts of CIA manipulations.
Rather than U.S. plots, these were genuinely popular revolts, declared Nasrallah.

"These are true, popular revolutions that people have launched -- primarily youth -- then men, women, children, and elders, who were followed by elites and then political powers. These revolutions are based on faith, awareness, anger, enthusiasm -- and most important -- great readiness for sacrifice….

"We have watched televisions and seen, with our own eyes, youth challenging guns to shoot them, and they were shot. We've seen this in Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Yemen, and Libya. But it doesn't stop here; afterwards, other youth challenge bullets and guns."
The article can be found on this ZNet page: http://www.zcommunications.org/nasralla ... hen-shalom

Armchair conspiracists would be better served by arming themselves with incisive commentary rather than spewing know-nothing, angry rants. Yes, boys and girls- Arabs are indeed capable of creative polity.

Who is Hassan Nasralla? "The Secretary General of Lebanon’s Hizbullah. Hizbullah has been the most prestigious of the Arab world's opponents of Western domination." Unless, of course, you're of a mind to dismiss him as just another CIA/Mossad dupe.

And further- if you don't know ZNet you should- if you're truly interested in a fresh look at human affairs from a Left perspective.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Ozfactor

Re: Nasrallah on Libya

Post by Ozfactor » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:49 pm

It is delusional to think that the West along with Israel will sit back and take no advantage of the un-rest in any corner of the Middle East or Near East. Whether the unrest is due to out side manipulations such has been carried out in South America for corporate interest or is indeed driven by the passions of citizens the good old US of A will get something out of it.

A quote from the very article you sited.
Nasrallah had no illusions about U.S. and Western benevolence. They are pursuing their own interests, trying to minimize the harm to their positions in the region:
Military spending in Libya as of March 28th....600 million. Sudan 0.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.
Emerson

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:53 pm

I don't disagree. The west will always try to find a self-serving advantage in any world event. But that fact does in no way indicate that these revolutions are not rooted in authentic aspirations.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:07 pm

I agree. Especially in the case of Egypt. Murburak was an ally of the US (crooked as he was) and there was no way the CIA would get in there to stir up the pot when they already had them eating their own crow.

I have a question though: I did not follow as closely the goings on in Libya as I had in other places. My question is this:

At any point in the uprisings there, did any of the major world players or the AU get together a mediation group to try and mediate the situation between the 'rebels' and Ghaddafi? Were there any discussions around this?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:24 pm

The CIA, as an arm of US foreign policy, is interested in status quo- predictability. And for them there was no reason to foment revolution in Egypt. And as far as Libya is concerned that was also the case. The Libyan intervention was a clumsy attempt to prevent a massacre. The Arab Union should have taken that initiative upon itself. But that organization is corrupt and timid- and led by nations that are unfortunately beholden to the Western powers.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:38 pm

lkwalker wrote:I don't disagree. The west will always try to find a self-serving advantage in any world event. But that fact does in no way indicate that these revolutions are not rooted in authentic aspirations.
And the short term goals the west plays for usually comes back with teeth. But I am willing to bet that is figured into the plan.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:57 pm

the best laid plans of mice and men?

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:05 pm

lkwalker wrote:the best laid plans of mice and men?
I think they have learned it is unpredictable. They just figure they will overcome it when it happens. Optimism isn't in short supply with the fringe government.

Snow Crash

Post by Snow Crash » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:08 pm

lkwalker wrote:Armchair conspiracists would be better served by arming themselves with incisive commentary rather than spewing know-nothing, angry rants. Yes, boys and girls- Arabs are indeed capable of creative polity.

Who is Hassan Nasralla? "The Secretary General of Lebanon’s Hizbullah. Hizbullah has been the most prestigious of the Arab world's opponents of Western domination." Unless, of course, you're of a mind to dismiss him as just another CIA/Mossad dupe.

And further- if you don't know ZNet you should- if you're truly interested in a fresh look at human affairs from a Left perspective.
And yet you cannot explain how you cherry-pick where to apply your obnoxious 'war is a racket' fad. You cannot explain why you support 'resistance' in countries the US and Israel hates, but you do not support the struggle against the Zionist occupation of Palestine. You cannot explain why you are not condemning your warlord hero Obama for not wading in guns blazing on Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Bahrain. You cannot explain why the West has not intervened in Western Sahara and Sudan, yet you claim the West are 'the good guys'. You cannot explain why Obama is escalating the conflict in Pakistan with any degree of honesty. You cannot explain the known presence of Western Intelligence operations on the ground without undermining your idiotic contention that the CIA has jack shit to do with anything in this mess. You cannot explain why all your pissant, piss-stained armchair punditry is repeatedly shat upon by reality.

You should perhaps arm yourself with some facts, some history, some honesty, and a little less bias before talking utter shit about subjects you clearly have an extremely narrow, intellectually dishonest view of.

Oh wait, I'm talking to you aren't I.... never mind...
Make way for the Bad Guy

Snow Crash

Post by Snow Crash » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Make way for the Bad Guy