Sky News Reports Israel Preparing Preemptive Strike On Iran

Egg

Sky News Reports Israel Preparing Preemptive Strike On Iran

Post by Egg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:20 am

First Fukushima made a repeat appearance last night with news of a repeat fission incident, a topic which has gotten absolutely zero media coverage as discussing beta, let alone gamma decay, is considered uncouth in refined society; now it is time for the fallback geopolitical hotbed to enter the stage. Sky News has reported that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is trying to rally support in his cabinet for an attack on Iran, according to government sources. "The country's defence minister Ehud Barak and the foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman are said to be among those backing a pre-emptive strike to neutralise Iran's nuclear ambitions. But a narrow majority of ministers currently oppose the move, which could trigger a wave of regional retaliation. The debate over possible Israeli military action has reached fever pitch in recent days with newspaper leader columns discussing the benefits and dangers of hitting Iran. Mr Lieberman responded to the reports of a push to gain cabinet approval by saying that "Iran poses the most dangerous threat to world order." But he said Israel's military options should not be a matter for public discussion." Which makes one wonder: why is Sky News reporting on this, and why is it a matter for public discussion?

More from Sky:

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is due to report on the state of Iran’s nuclear capabilities on November 8, and that assessment is likely to influence Israel’s decision.

Western intelligence officials estimate that Iran is still at least two to three years away from obtaining a nuclear bomb.

Israel has long made it clear that it will not allow Iran to obtain a nuclear capability that could threaten the Jewish State.

Publicly it is pushing for a diplomatic offensive against Iran - including the imposition of sanctions - rather than a military strike.

But prime minister Netanyahu has repeatedly warned that all options are on the table.

Israel's former defence minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer told Haraatez newspaper that he feared a "horror scenario" if Israel attacked Iran.

Washington is also strongly opposed to Israel taking unilateral action.

Any strike on Iran could trigger retaliation from Iran and across the region.

Syria, a close ally of Tehran, could also launch attacks, along with the Iranian-backed Hizbollah militia in Lebanon.

All of this will surely end well if enacted. In the meantime, we present our favorite weekly chart update which we don't show nearly enough.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/sky-news- ... trike-iran

Egg

Re: Sky News Reports Israel Preparing Preemptive Strike On I

Post by Egg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:29 am

I'll say this, I think nothing will happen, as per usual.

Hope I'm right.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:30 am

Israel has made it abundantly clear that it will never allow Iran to produce nuclear weapons. When the new UN report is released this week it will conclude that Iran is indeed engaged in doing just that. If we are to take Netanyahu and Barak at their words an attack becomes no-longer just a possibility but rather an inevitability. This attack will consist of missiles and planes, will be aided by Saudi Arabia, the US and GB, and will take place in a matter of days.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:07 pm

I'll bet you a pie from the real Ray's Original Pizza on 6th avenue and 14th street that it doesn't come to be any time soon.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Britain’s armed forces are stepping up their contingency planning for potential military action against Iran amid mounting concern about Tehran’s nuclear enrichment programme, the Guardian has learned.

The Ministry of Defence believes the US may decide to fast-forward plans for targeted missile strikes at some key Iranian facilities. British officials say that if Washington presses ahead it will seek, and receive, UK military help for any mission, despite some deep reservations within the coalition government.

In anticipation of a potential attack, British military planners are examining where best to deploy Royal Navy ships and submarines equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles over the coming months as part of what would be an air and sea campaign.

They also believe the US would ask permission to launch attacks from Diego Garcia, the British Indian ocean territory, which the Americans have used previously for conflicts in the Middle East.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/no ... ck-nuclear

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:42 pm

The operative paragraph...
"Hawks in the US are likely to seize on next week's report from the International Atomic Energy Agency, which is expected to provide fresh evidence of a possible nuclear weapons programme in Iran."

Iran is racing the clock and time has run out. Threatening the annihilation of the Jews may have not been the best use of their time. Know what I mean?
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Threatening the annihilation of the Jews may have not been the best use of their time. Know what I mean?
Annihilation was one of those things left best unsaid. Too late now since it has become central in the conflict. Diplomacy seems to lose out to war more often than not.

No surprise to anyone though, annihilation has been played by mankind over and over.