Make Love Not War

Pam
Princess Feet

Make Love Not War

Post by Pam » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:38 am

Canada's most famous lovebirds have come forward to explain the kiss photo that made them famous.

Australian Scott Jones and his girlfriend, Alexandra Thomas of Vancouver, British Columbia, told the Canadian network CBC that they were not making out in the street during the Vancouver hockey riot as it appeared in the widely circulated photo by Getty Images photographer Rich Lam.

The two were trying to find a way out of the turbulent downtown area when they were overrun by a phalanx of riot police, they said.

"They started charging at us, and we tried to run away, but Alex couldn't," Jones explained.

"I just tripped up," Thomas interjected. "I'm not sure, but I was starting to get really frightened because I'd never experienced anything like that before. And it's really scary, you know? ... I was upset, and he was there to make sure that I got out OK."
Source: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/18/ri ... ?hpt=hp_t2

This picture speaks volumes..... and now the explanation behind it :D

On another note..... people in Vancouver are ashamed of the hooligans that went downtown to start a riot, they were armed and ready to roll no matter what!

The next morning a very large group of youths via a "Facebook plan" came downtown to help with the clean up and I believe all the "culprits" turned themselves in but they really had no choice, their pictures were plastered all over the internet. How stupid they were to do that and think they wouldn't get caught.

Pretty much everyone has a camera on their cellphone so they were bound to be snapped in the act.

lkwalker

Re: Make Love Not War

Post by lkwalker » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:30 am

Nothing wrong with a good riot now and then.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Kat

Post by Kat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:56 am

Many people enjoy the sport of football more for the street tribal warfare than for the boring goalless draws that happen every weekend at the stadium. At least in the game posing as hockey the warfare is generally contained to the ice.

Actual hockey:

If I could get any animal it would be a dolphin. I want one bad. Me and my mom went swimming with dolphins. I was like, 'How do we get one of those?' and she was like, 'You can't get a dolphin. What are you gonna do, put it in your pool?' Miley Cyrus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:30 pm

lkwalker wrote:Nothing wrong with a good riot now and then.
Disappointment over a sports team does not make a good riot. It does make for a good gathering of dumb asses.

I bet the police state is glad people riot over sports and not food costs, and corrupt politics and business.

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:35 pm

A riot is just another word for party. And turning banks into piñatas can be the best fun of all.
"But that's no more true than saying the universe is ineluctably bound to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In the end it's all an entropic stew but in the meantime we got some serious livin' to do." Arthur Afterburn

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Cartoonsyndicate wrote:A riot is just another word for party. And turning banks into piñatas can be the best fun of all.

Party is one thing, destroying property where you know who is going to pay to restore that property after the party is another thing. Majority will come from Tax dollars.

The rioters were not Hockey fans..... they were "professional" trouble makers.

My son had gone downtown to join the "excitement" of the game with all the other fans, he could see that trouble was brewing 10 minutes before the game ended so hopped on the Skytrain to come home. He was pissed off that Police cars and Ambulances were being overturned and set on fire. When he walked in the door he threw his wallet on the floor and said "I guess we are going to be the ones that pay to clean up this mess" (He just turned 20)

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:59 pm

People doing it for the lolz. The new term for the same old, stupid human short coming.

Might be easier to ban hockey and therefore eliminate that source if riot fun.

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Ban Hockey in Canada :shock:

I would be all for it, I never liked that sport much, but that will never happen, it's one of our national pastimes....... including drinking beer ;)

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:12 pm

The moralism, while I understand it, is misplaced. There lies secreted in the heart of man a certain nihilism that rails against the meaningless materialism of civilization. There resides there an urge to ' murder and create' in the words of Eliot. A requirement to bust the idols of society... Elevate your awares and revel in the exquisite symbols of that Vancouver moment. Or not... I don't really care.
"But that's no more true than saying the universe is ineluctably bound to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In the end it's all an entropic stew but in the meantime we got some serious livin' to do." Arthur Afterburn

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Hahahahahahahaha..... this article in the Vancouver Sun by a Calgary Alberta reporter says it all:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/View ... story.html

Nevertheless, Vancouverites being quoted on television and newspapers keep making statements like: "this isn't the real Vancouver," and "these aren't real hockey fans," and "Vancouver isn't like this at all."

Hahahahaha...... it's like he read my post here ;)

We do have a pretty high opinion of ourselves over the rest of Canada ;) It was bound to happen that the other Provinces would start bashing us.