Cognitive dissonance

Pigeon

Cognitive dissonance

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Cognitive dissonance is the term used in modern psychology to describe the state of holding two or more conflicting cognitions (e.g., ideas, beliefs, values, emotional reactions) simultaneously. In a state of dissonance, people may sometimes feel surprise, dread, guilt, anger, or embarrassment. The theory of cognitive dissonance in social psychology purposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by altering existing cognitions, adding new ones to create a consistent belief system, or alternatively by reducing the importance of any one of the dissonant elements.

Cognitive dissonance theory warns that people have a bias to seek consonance among their cognitions. According to Festinger, we engage in a process he termed "dissonance reduction", which he said could be achieved in one of three ways: lowering the importance of one of the discordant factors, adding consonant elements, or changing one of the dissonant factors. This bias gives the theory its predictive power, shedding light on otherwise puzzling, irrational, and even destructive behavior.

A classical illustration of cognitive dissonance is expressed in the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE). In the story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he decides that the grapes are probably not worth eating, with the justification the grapes probably are not ripe or that they are sour (hence "sour grapes"). This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it. Jon Elster calls this pattern "adaptive preference formation".

Link

Royal

Re: Cognitive dissonance

Post by Royal » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:32 pm

You should of heard this discussion with a Christian group the other night I meet on top of a mountain. There arguing points should be fine examples for the Cognitive Dissonance Institution. Not that I antagonize Christian or religious groups, but it's way too fun and too easy to break their arguments apart and watch their faces when they watch their hypocrisy. After watching Christopher Hitchens do it so many times in debates, it's hard not to pullback from the rush of adrenaline when confronted with such profound ignorance the permeate society (hmmm I thought I heard self fulfilling prophecy somewhere?).

The show stopper was when I brought up the subject of end-times as bait. He proceeded to talk about prophecies as already happening and the NWO.

I asked "isn't weird how all this was tribal land ( I wave my hand out to the lands below) and the natives held a balance with nature. ..." ... "THe groups claiming to spread the word of Christ through conquering, torture, and education of the youth is the result of this 'NWO'..."
The group fell silent. In his response, his voice carried a fear only found during revelation.

I see people as the "fox" in the example as described in the opening post. It's a sort of laziness to deal with one's inadequacy. In this case it's spiritual or will power inadequacy and they seek elsewhere than themselves... it would also justify a war movement: "WHy go to war?"... "Because we are living in end-times..." I wonder if the Romans ever used that line. Where are they?

Great topic. God knows I'm dissonant when looking for a job. :D

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:24 am

I am now wondering how much cognitive dissonance and self fulfilling prophesies can work together. Seems like these two could feed each other.

Royal

Post by Royal » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:30 am

I would think there is a correlation with "locus of control".

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 am

Locus of control is a theory in personality psychology referring to the extent to which individuals believe that they can control events that affect them. Understanding of the concept was developed by Julian B. Rotter in 1954, and has since become an aspect of personality studies. A person's "locus" (Latin for "place" or "location") is conceptualised as either internal (the person believes they can control their life) or external (meaning they believe that their decisions and life are controlled by environmental factors which they cannot influence).

Individuals with a high internal locus of control believe that events in their life derive primarily from their own actions; for example, if a person with an internal locus of control does not perform as well as they wanted to on a test, they would blame it on lack of preparedness on their part. If they performed well on a test, they would attribute this to ability to study.[1]. In the test-performance example, if a person with a high external locus of control does poorly on a test, they might attribute this to the difficulty of the test questions. If they performed well on a test, they might think the teacher was lenient or that they were lucky.

Royal

Post by Royal » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 am

lol. Was that a joke?

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:37 am

So someone with a internal locus of control might be more affected by both of these situations.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:38 am

Royal wrote:lol. Was that a joke?
Thought I would add the definition inline with the discussion.

Royal

Post by Royal » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:40 am

With more and more people talking about collective consciousness, it seems natural to wonder, Is there any scientific research to back it up? The answer, increasingly, appears to be “yes.” In fact, a growing body of recent research suggests not only that a field of awareness and intelligence exists between human beings but also that through it we influence each other in powerful ways.
http://www.enlightennext.org/magazine/j25/kenny.asp

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:41 am

Ha. I didn't see the new thread...