Divination

Royal

Divination

Post by Royal » Tue May 31, 2011 8:07 am

Divination can be seen as a systematic method with which to organize what appear to be disjointed, random facets of existence such that they provide insight into a problem at hand. If a distinction is to be made between divination and fortune-telling, divination has a formal or ritual and often social character, usually in a religious context, as seen in traditional African medicine; while fortune-telling is a more everyday practice for personal purposes. Particular divination methods vary by culture and religion.
Divination is often dismissed by sceptics, including the scientific community, as being mere superstition: in the 2nd century, Lucian devoted a witty essay to the career of a charlatan, Alexander the false prophet, trained by "one of those who advertise enchantments, miraculous incantations, charms for your love-affairs, visitations for your enemies, disclosures of buried treasure, and successions to estates",[5] though most Romans believed in dreams and charms. It is considered a sin in most Christian denominations and Judaism.

IndicusMaximus

Re: Divination

Post by IndicusMaximus » Tue May 31, 2011 8:40 am

Are you aware of the first rule of fight club?
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue May 31, 2011 9:03 am

I think a true prophet or diviner doesn't read the future they create it.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue May 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Divination is effective because of the nature of temporal endurance itself. All outcomes exist simultaneously. In a very real sense time and space are identical rather than codependent dimensions as perceived. Even Einstein considered this possibility as an explanation for the elevation of the Imagination as the principle that subsumes the Will. In so considering, divination, properly understood, can be termed 'clear vision.' The common term, 'clairvoyance' is a popularization and, usually a trivialization, of this concept.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Royal wrote:Divination can be seen as a systematic method with which to organize what appear to be disjointed, random facets of existence such that they provide insight into a problem at hand.
I think the human brain is hard wired to do this anyway, to see patterns, connect dots, organize what appear to be disjointed. Isn't this what is going on when you put a problem away for a while, or sleep on it, and then suddenly the answer to a problem is clear to you? Your subconscious has worked on it the whole time, connecting and organizing even when you were not aware of it.

I don't really think you need rituals and stuff to make this happen.

Just saying.

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Tue May 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Or it could be none of those things. What's the use of divination? Worried about losing something?
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue May 31, 2011 6:29 pm

'Hard wired' is just an admission of categorization. Resist the Borg.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Tue May 31, 2011 6:35 pm

lkwalker wrote:'Hard wired' is just an admission of categorization. Resist the Borg.
I don't really understand what you mean by that either. I guess I am on a real stoopid roll today.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue May 31, 2011 6:38 pm

I'll explain it if you trust me to interpret Kant.

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue May 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Quantum Field Theory may eventually prove that our Consciousness is what creates our reality. In which case a prophet is creating the future not seeing it.