Taos 1974

lkwalker

Taos 1974

Post by lkwalker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Taos, NM 1974 by Arthur Afterburn, ©2039, 1952 All rights reserved.

When Alice sold her silver flute she placed the hundred bucks in a woven straw basket on the top of Alfred's refrigerator for the use of any down and out hippie who needed a drink ticket at Woodie's. The money didn't last long but it became a Taos legend anyway- remembered even to this day.

Were you there, at Fargo's pig roast? And all the while the Jews were turning a lamb on a Passover spit for the first time in 2000 years. Was it a sacrilege? That was question deeply pondered (but made less relevant by the sweet smokes...) Jerusalem, 1967 was the rationale. What did Hillel say? Are you fucking stupid or just a simpleton? Let them with hungry ears... let them hear. Or at least those with dilated nostrils who've been surviving on hijacked cheese from Foodway. But Fargo's pig roast was better and less conflicting. I was there at both and I can testify.

..the Exempt Narcotics record in the Taos pharmacy consisted of 42 pages of signatures. And every one of them, with varying degrees of flourish and style, consisted of just one name: richardnixon, richardnixon, richardnixon, richardnixon...

and so it goes...
cont'd...

There might be nothing colder than a February morning in the desert of New Mexico. I awoke from a frigid fantasy and broke the little icicles from my mustache with a tentative swipe from a vaguely remembered hand. Inside that mud concoction of a house the indestructible Alfred was already awake- making little scratchy squeaks- the noises of the almost dead. The sound of a long piss and then- the rattle of angry water from a faucet. Jesus... the stirrings of another icy day in paradise, I thought.

Next-

Breakfast at Alfred's. Stay tooned...

A pound of bacon in the blackhot skillet, hissing and spitting in a spiteful hate. And then, after a while, potatoes- grated and wet- dropped with the arrogance of the Gods in the mayhemic hell of Moloch, and then the eggs. Bubble, bubble toil and trouble... the hubs of Satan to prepare the way for the doomed...

...because that was where we were headed. Off to the frozen sage barrens to build on the Water Tower! The Water Tower- to nurture the golf course for the Texans.

"If God wanted Texans to ski he would have give em a mountain." That was the bumper sticker de rigour for every Taos hippie in 1974/ 2039. And so it is to this day- although, sadly, the hippies have taken to ski. Very bad. Anyway- back to the tower...

The Tower. Oh my jeezizz. When I was a kid my fondest love was the janitor. Frank Marciano. Just back from the war and with a long, red scar across his gut- that he loved to show his favorite kids. Compliments of a Jap who wore an even more lethal scar across his throat. Compliments of Frank. I was his favorite kid. I was the guy who filled the inkwells with the savory liquids that Frank conjured in the hot boiler room of Midland St School in 1956. What more do I have to say? And why is this relevant? Continue on for the answer.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Cartoonsyndicate

Re: Taos 1974

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Frank inhabited the subterranean nether world of boilers and coal dust. And on the rough, blackened concrete walls of his domain were taped huge pictures of his cousin, Rocco from Brockton. The heavyweight champ of all the universe. All of them signed, "I love you uncle Frank. Rocky.". This I understood in a subliminal and mystrerious way. Holy shit! Rocky Marciano! This steamy hell belonged to me and Frank. Mrs Burgess, my teacher, never saw this place. She was an angel. And angels never ventured underground. But she sent me here. Here in the inferno, to fill the inkwells every morning. That made me love her even more. She was beautiful and kind. My first and abiding love. It was a special trust.
"But that's no more true than saying the universe is ineluctably bound to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In the end it's all an entropic stew but in the meantime we got some serious livin' to do." Arthur Afterburn

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Last edited by Cartoonsyndicate on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But that's no more true than saying the universe is ineluctably bound to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In the end it's all an entropic stew but in the meantime we got some serious livin' to do." Arthur Afterburn

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Cartoonsyndicate wrote:When you approached the front doors of Midland Street School you walked across a mosaic in worn white marble. And in bolded black letters, you always noticiced the dedication. "Midland Street School, 1896.". It provoked a certain reverence.little understood but indulged nonetheless. Here had passed countless of generations, laboring under green schoolbook bags slung over shoulders, a connection to handsome and strong doughboys and clowns, students, little and in the process of growing. Into what, we knew not....

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:34 pm

"Lemme see it, Frank," I said. And Frank lifted his black tee shirt and showed me again. Tinkling pink wound of a bayonet that had sliced his gut ten years before. "it don't hurt no more. But I'll never forget it. The look on that Jap's face. Wide open eyes and full hate.. But I got even. That bastard ended up without a head. Hahahaha. Rocco woulda knocked it off with one punch. He don't need no knife.". And again, I understood. This was desperate bravery. I loved Franky Marciano for that.

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:54 pm

The first thing you noticed about the uncle of the Champ were his perfect and shiny lain eyebrows. they said determination and vendetta. But they arched a bit, saying love of being alive. "No-one fucks with me," they said. But they never scared me a bit. To me they were about inkwells and Mrs Burgess. And Rocky. His neck was thick and his shoulders were made of stone. But as heroic as he was to me, so was I to him. A little brother? A son? Or an equal...a little Jewish kid that he fought the war for? Who could say? Killer that he may have been he was also full of love and compassion. That confused me a little. But I accepted it as the way the world must be.

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:19 pm

"Here. Take your ink up to Mrs Burgess," he said as he dumped a the crazy concoction into my spouted can. "She's a babe, that one. I'd go for her if I wasn't a Dago.. But you know how themn dames are.". And for a brief moment I saw Frankie Marciano holding hands with Mrs Angel Burgess. I figured it would work. Why not? The emissary from the hubs of hell holding tight to the snowy princess of heaven? It seemed somehow right even if unnatural. To this very day I trace that fantasy to my downfall.

Frankie," I said, "Can I ever get to meet the Champ?. Does he ever get to Worcester anymore? Well, at least, when you see him, tell him how much I love him. OK?".

"Kid, don't worry. I'll get it done. Now get your ass up to Burgess' class and fill the fucking wells. OK?

And I did.

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Follow the story if you want to know Rocky Marciano. Otherwise go fuck yourselves.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:05 pm

The last part of that previous post wasn't necessary.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:18 pm

OK. I retract it.
"To Uncle Frankie, Love Rocco."
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi