RIP David Bowie

Pigeon

RIP David Bowie

Post by Pigeon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Sad day, the passing of David Bowie.

David Robert Jones (8 January 1947 – 10 January 2016)

Dissatisfied with his stage name as Davy (and Davie) Jones, which in the mid-1960s invited confusion with Davy Jones of the Monkees, Bowie renamed himself after the 19th-century American frontiersman Jim Bowie and the knife he had popularised

Bowie was a figure in popular music for over four decades, and was known as an innovator, particularly for his work in the 1970s. His androgynous appearance was an iconic element of his image, principally in the 1970s and 1980s.

Plastic soul is a term coined during the 1960s by popular black musicians to describe Mick Jagger, a white musician singing soul music.

Paul McCartney later referenced the phrase as the name of The Beatles album Rubber Soul, which was inspired by the term "plastic soul". In a studio conversation recorded in June 1965 after recording the first take of "I'm Down", McCartney says "Plastic soul, man. Plastic soul."

David Bowie described his own funky, soulful songs released in the early to mid-1970s as "plastic soul". These singles sold well, and Bowie became one of the few white performers to be invited to perform on Soul Train. In a 1976 Playboy interview, Bowie described his recent album Young Americans as "the definitive plastic soul record. It's the squashed remains of ethnic music as it survives in the age of Muzak, written and sung by a white limey."

Royal

Re: RIP David Bowie

Post by Royal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:28 am

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but it won't be boring"