New Generation Swag Award

Royal

New Generation Swag Award

Post by Royal » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:35 am

New Generation Swag Award of June 2016 goes to Patrick Finnegan

In return, Finnegan is paid a salary (he declined to say how much) and a cut of the $5 million fund's carried interest. He's also making between $3,000 and $7,000 a month through his consulting gigs. All told, he's on pace to make six figures this year.

Finnegan said his business savvy comes solely from hands-on experiences -- particularly his failures.

"I've been naive. Being young, you can get taken advantage of," he said. "When I was 16, I was working for a company [cloud computing firm MetricsHub] during prep school that was acquired by Microsoft. I was their first employee, and I didn't get anything."

But his biggest learning moment, Finnegan said, had nothing to do with a lack of a formal business education. It came eight months ago when he showed up late to a meeting with one of his mentors after he'd been out partying in New York City.

"He really believed in me, and I really disappointed him," Finnegan said. "I realized if I want to be this big Gen Z businessman, and for people to trust me, I can't be out partying. I have to be prepared, I have to give my 150% every time."

Finnegan says he still makes time for fun, but he's far more focused on advancing his career.

"I'm going to be a mogul. I want to disrupt the [establishment] because it needs to be disrupted."