Hallettsville Walmart bomb threat 9-24-2014

Pigeon

Hallettsville Walmart bomb threat 9-24-2014

Post by Pigeon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Bomb Scare In Hallettsville

HALLETTSVILLE - A bomb scare caused quite a stir in Hallettsville Wednesday afternoon after a suspicious item was found in the Walmart parking lot by an employee.

Evea Zimmerman was working at Brookshire when her boss went up to her and told her to leave the building.

"My manager pulled up to the window and said hurry get out it's a bomb threat. I asked if I could get my phone and he said no, and to leave right now," Zimmerman said.

Zimmerman, along with customers and employees from Walmart, were asked to evacuate their buildings after Hallettsville Police officials called a bomb squad from Houston to inspect a suspicious suitcase.

The suitcase had tape wrapped around it and was found by a Walmart employee, who then called the police. When they arrived, they saw surveillance video of three men who had dropped off the suitcase inside a shopping cart after going inside the store, buying an item, and then hanging around the parking lot.

Police cleared both stores and made employees wait close to three hours until the bomb squad arrived.

"They were just talking about if it could blow up how far it could go, and if it we were far enough away if it were going to blow up," Zimmerman said.

At 4 p.m., the bomb squad arrived and inspected the suitcase, as well as a vehicle beside it.

Hallettsville Police Chief Randal Schlauch said the video of the three men made them take the matter seriously.

"Some of it is that the subjects don't appear to be from around here. The fact that they separated inside the store and moving around suspiciously," Schlauch said.

After x-raying the suitcase, the bomb squad found it was not dangerous and allowed all employees to return to work.

Zimmerman said she never experienced a day like this, and doesn't expect for it to happen in the near future.

"This town is quite. Things like that don't happen here," Zimmerman said.

Chief Schlauch said he will be looking to identify the three men in the surveillance video and will possibly press charges.

Link and video too