The Doctor is in the House. Thank you very much.

Pam
Princess Feet

Re: The Doctor is in the House. Thank you very much.

Post by Pam » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 am

How come you two seem to have a hate on for each other?

Did I miss something?

SweetGrass

Post by SweetGrass » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:06 am

DocVelocity wrote:
TraumaT wrote:Don't worry, we know that you are here to massage your own grand and delusional ego.
Hey, baby, I do what I do, and I make a greater impact in the world than you'll ever make with your secretary job. By the way, it's spelled "HYPOCRISY," not "hipocricy"... Ms. Journalist.

:lol:

— Doc Velocity
Well, now, Doc.....To TT's credit she is a Norwegian writer. Her English is damn near perfect and impressive, in my book. Her spelling is better than half of Americans.
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:06 am

DocVelocity wrote:
Hey, baby, I do what I do, and I make a greater impact in the world than you'll ever make with your secretary job. By the way, it's spelled "HYPOCRISY," not "hipocricy"... Ms. Journalist.

:lol:

— Doc Velocity
Hahahaha, I am not a secretary, but I am Norwegian, so if you are gonna be a spelling Nazi, you will have your hands full with my posts. I mess up all the time with language. I suspect you would do the same if you started posting on a Scandinavian forum...

Now, tell me, are you a muslim?

Set

Post by Set » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 am

Cartoonsyndicate wrote:This is a stoopid argument. The Doc adds an interesting point of view and a colorful means of presenting it. This community won't thrive if it rejects posters with an edge. Pigion was right to invite him and Doc was right in choosing to stay.
As a Yank would say, "Fuckin' A!" to that BE. Without people like Doc the place will end up as a prissy mutual admiration society, a place to come and swap casserole recipes, knitting tips, and discuss the latest Mills and Boone novel.

Fuck poseurs who pretend they use religiously correct Latin to describe their sacrosanct sexual and excretory bits, who supposedly can be mortified beyond belief by a simple four letter word. They are the epitome of the W.A.S.P Wowser, so despised in my day -
The Macquarie Dictionary (2002) defines a wowser as: a prudish teetotaller; a killjoy. This definition is too narrow as wowser can be employed to deride anyone who is perceived as a ‘spoilsport’ or ‘wet blanket’ and might be variously described as puritanical, moralistic, close-minded, sanctimonious, judgemental and critical of the pleasures of others. In 1916, Australian poet C. J. Dennis defined a wowser as “an ineffably pious person who mistakes the world for a penitentiary and himself for a warder”.

Wowser is the cultural antithesis of the Australian larrikin, a mischievous, good-humoured and rebellious type. The Australian culture is generally tolerant and liberal-minded, having an aversion for the wowser. Freedom of choice is respected and solidarity and loyalty are valued qualities (Wierzbicka 1986:361). The behaviour, opinions and beliefs of a wowser are perceived as conservative, ‘fuddy-duddy’ and ‘stuffy’, as shown by the collocations old wowser and old-fashioned wowser.

Our concept of the wowser was initially, and still is to some extent, associated with religion and has also elicited related epithets such as bible-basher and devil dodger (Baker 1970:137). Religious wowsers are frequently perceived as intolerant, outspoken and censorious ‘fanatics’ or ‘fundamentalists’ and are often seen to actively protest against the habits or pastimes of which they disapprove, especially gambling, promiscuity and the consumption of alcohol.

Wowser was coined in Australia and is also used in New Zealand English. It does not appear to have entered other varieties of English and has no direct synonyms in other Englishes. The etymology of wowser is contentious. Australian politician and journalist John Norton (1862-1916) is generally credited with coining the word as an acronym of the slogan: We Only Want Social Evils Remedied (or Rectified), first used by Norton in 1899 in the Sydney newspaper Truth. It is most likely that this is a clever after-the-fact etymology. Hornadge cites an earlier usage in Victoria circa 1870 where hot-gospellers became known as Rousers or Wowsers (1980:176). There is a Yorkshire dialectal word to wow meaning ‘to mew as a cat, howl or bark as a dog, wail, to whine, grumble, complain’, and it is possible that this is relevant to the origin of wowser (OED). Etymology is often a useful tool when considering meaning but is not necessarily reflective of contemporary usage. Etymologies are frequently unreliable and conflicting; for example, Butler (2001:201) claims that the word whine was an attempt to capture the sound of an arrow whizzing past whereas Morris (2001:112) maintains that the word is from the Germanic hwinan, meaning ‘to complain’.

4.1 Examples of Usage: wowser

(1) “Few will be surprised however, by his sponsorship of current private members bills relating to public nudity, discrimination against heterosexuals, police powers, and life sentences, because his public image is of a wowser who advocates draconian punishments, even for crimes that have come to be accepted as victimless.”
http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/drawingboar ... 0111/smith
(Collected online 1/04/2002) Proceedings of the 2003 Conference of the Australian Linguistic Society 6

(2) “You see in the past, most of the people who talked about problem gambling tended to come from churches or the welfare sector and people said: oh well, they’re just being do-gooders, they’re being wowsers.”
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/AU9907/S00086
(Collected online 9/04/2002 - interview with Australian PM John Howard)

(3) “He used the terms commonsense, right and wrong and values, amid catcalls from Labor, and has been accused of being a censorious wowser.”
http://www.mapinc.org/ccnews/v02/n1053 (Collected online 9/04/2002)

(4) “…the movie’s censorship is an act of prudish wowsers.”
http://www.slashdot.org/articles (Collected online 9/04/2002)

(5) “Australians have also long reviled the wowser. ‘I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t get drunk,’ a well known female singer once told me.”
http://www.smh.com.au/cgibin/common/pop ... 62011.html (Collected online 9/04/2002)

(6) “A wowser is... a person who is more shocked at seeing two inches of underskirt than he would be at seeing a mountain of misery.”
http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/wowsers (Collected 9/04/2002)

(7) “We play music and have a few parties but the neighbours have a whinge. They’re just stuffy old wowsers though.”
Male, 26

(8) “What a pack of puritanical hypocrites. I’d much rather live next door to a hard-working hooker than a narrow-minded wowser.”
http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/wowsers (Collected 9/04/2002)

(9) “When it comes to wowser favourites like the abolition of abortion and euthanasia, he’ll be there to encourage and support the introduction of private member.”
members.optusnet.com.au/~thesquiz/v4n6.htm (Collected 3/06/2002)

(10) “A wowser is perceived by his opponents as a spoilsport trying to impose his puritan prohibitions on the whole community.”
http://www.wn.com.au/prohealth/gaming1.htm (Collected 3/06/2002)

4.2 Explication of wowser
wowser
(a) a kind of person
(b) people of this kind think something like this:
(c) ‘I am a good person’
(d) ‘I don’t do anything bad’
(e) ‘other people do many bad things’
(f) ‘I want other people to live like I do’
(g) people of this kind think much about the things other people do Proceedings of the 2003 Conference of the Australian Linguistic Society 7
(h) they don’t want other people to do the things they think are bad
(i) they think they know what is good for other people
(j) they say many things because of this
(k) when they do this they feel something good
(l) people think it is bad to be like this
Component (c) indicates that a wowser is self-righteous, perceiving themselves to be moral, proper and respectable. Line (d) suggests that a wowser is prudish and moralistic. Line (e) explains that this kind of person is judgemental and critical of other people and mostly disapproving and condemnatory. Rather than being perceived as temperance, their attitude is viewed as zealous and prudish. They are narrow-minded, intolerant and prejudiced. Component (f) suggests that a wowser imposes their own rigid morals onto other people. Line (g) indicates that a wowser is unduly preoccupied with the pastimes of others. They are perceived as ‘nosy’ and excessively curious about or involved in the lives and habits of other people.
Components (h) and (i) indicate that a wowser lives by their own standards and perceptions of morality and expects that other people do likewise. A wowser is typically moralistic and sanctimonious. Line (j) refers to the interfering, intrusive, outspoken and dictatorial nature of a wowser. A wowser may actively and fanatically protest against the behaviour and activities they abhor. They can be opinionated, aggressive, antagonistic and dogmatic in their beliefs and controlling of other people. Line (k) reinforces the notion of self-righteousness and moral superiority felt by the wowser for their enthusiastic condemnation of others. By staunchly disseminating their beliefs they feel as if they have accomplished something positive for society. Lastly, line (l) notes the social reproval of a wowser for their anti-social behaviour that contravenes the Australian ethos.
http://www.als.asn.au/proceedings/als2003/stollznow.pdf
"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong". ---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:19 am

Set wrote:
Without people like Doc the place will end up as a prissy mutual admiration society, a place to come and swap casserole recipes, knitting tips, and discuss the latest Mills and Boone novel.
What complete and utter bullshit. If a person really has to use words as "cunt" or "faggot" or "maggot" or "retard" in every other sentence to get a point across to the reader, it only proves that he/she has a poor vocabulary and even poorer writing skills. It's not like it makes that person intelligent or interesting in any way.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:08 am

What complete and utter bullshit. If a person really has to use words as "cunt" or "faggot" or "maggot" or "retard" in every other sentence to get a point across to the reader...
If the above behavior is required for participating at a forum then there are places that specialize in that behavior. We can all think of one right of the top. This place is not it. No one is saying everyone here agrees with each other. But the discussion is to be civil and personal attack should be few and far between, if any. They are no required for a good discussion.

Set

Post by Set » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:26 am

TraumaT wrote:
Set wrote:
Without people like Doc the place will end up as a prissy mutual admiration society, a place to come and swap casserole recipes, knitting tips, and discuss the latest Mills and Boone novel.
What complete and utter bullshit. If a person really has to use words as "cunt" or "faggot" or "maggot" or "retard" in every other sentence to get a point across to the reader, it only proves that he/she has a poor vocabulary and even poorer writing skills. It's not like it makes that person intelligent or interesting in any way.
I see. So the decent thing to do is openly berate and/or to bar/gag people with poor vocabs and writing skills. Indeed, if these dunces don't desist shocking the counterfeit sensibilities of this board's Brady Bunch, we should ban them all and burn all their writings as degenerate.

My contention, that these words are only offensive because they were/are condemned by the stinking Christians as sinful, (for evoking lascivious thoughts, which inevitably lead to sinful - in their puerile opinion - actions, i.e., fucking without written Christian permission/licence) and wannabe overtly respectable people unwittingly parrot their plastic piety, doesn't come into it, eh?
Last edited by Set on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong". ---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Paroxysm
Banned

Post by Paroxysm » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:30 am

In that skinny bitches defense...she's fucking Norwegian....nuff said?

Set

Post by Set » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:03 am

Paroxysm wrote:In that skinny bitches defense...she's fucking Norwegian....nuff said?
the gritty physicality of the body (e.g., blood, sweat, odors, waste) highlights our animal nature which functions as an existential affront to our aspirations of being transcendent spiritual creatures.
http://experimentaltheology.blogspot.co ... -word.html

Paroxysm
Banned

Post by Paroxysm » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:08 am

I just transcended a little baby batter onto the monitor...

Can I haz enlitening ascensionz nao plz?