Of pigs and troughs

Pigeon

Re: Of pigs and troughs

Post by Pigeon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 pm

I forgot trees are easily made from plastic. I'm calling China with my order now.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:17 pm

plastic tree, China plastic tree manufacturers, Supplier - ECVV China

Find good China plastic tree manufacturers, choose quality ...
Artificial Plastic Boxwood Topiary Tree Plant for Wedding Home Garden ...
Artificial plastic boxwood topiary tree plant for wedding garden decoration ...

China Plastic Tree Garden, Choose Quality China Plastic Tree Garden Products from Large Database of China Plastic Tree Garden Manufacturers, China Plastic ...

That was easy

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Egg wrote:I'll be eating leftovers.

I agree. I think it was last year where a worker at a store on Long Island was trampled to death by customers when they opened on Black Friday.

Greedy, gluttonous, disgusting, non-cute animals. It was one of the many moments where I've lost faith in humanity.
Not that I disagree about the greedy, gluttonous, disgusting part of your comment, I see it that way too. But, I also see how effective marketing and advertising has become in establishing cultural values over the last 30 years. The constant barrage electronically and in print of offers and specials and deals coming at us from every quarter eventually has profound effects when multiplied by the natural human herd phenomena. Couple that with the perceived thrill a shopper gets from the potential to amass large quantities at a discount, if they are brave and strong enough to survive the mauling. The anticipated bragging rights over their "kill" is alluring as well and will remain a hot topic for the year to come.

It makes me sad.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:42 pm

The whole thing is absurd. Using the holiday to promote greed.

Pana

Post by Pana » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:44 pm

As a celebration of the birth of a demi-god (as Yeshuva ben Joseph has come to be) that takes on being human and wrestles with all the crumminess that that entails, Christmas is okay. As a cultural, binding factor that moves people beyond their self centered selves to a figure that brings hope in lives of misery and hardship, Christmas is okay. That's why the early Chrstians adopted December 21 as the birth of their hero from from the concurrent (and more popular and much older) Mithras cult that was prevalent in Roman occupied areas at the time.

Its a great idea, Christmas.

Or, in these politically correct times, should I say, Its a great idea, these "Holidays".

Faith of any kind, praying to whichever gods, has always been there for people for aeons. Its one of the few things that was available for the 'soul stuff' of being human and being human is very hard and lonely some times. Science tries to fill the void that faith once took by providiing 'balms' (ie. anti-depressants and therapy) to sooth human angst but it fails to provide a construct for the conscience that most humans have or develop human empathy that is one of the structures that we need, as a community, to survive and be successful. It fails to inspire people to be better human beings, to master themselves.

...and...in the void of all that, consumerism and the ones that prey on the experience of being human (consumer marketing maestros) offer gadgets, bells and whistles. Fluff that breaks your pocket and offers momentary satisfaction but doesnt strengthen relationships, teach patience and kindness or acceptance.

We create our gods in the images and purposes that we need and talk to them in the times of our awareness of our own vulunerabilities and frailities. That's a good thing.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Pana

Post by Pana » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Pigeon wrote:

plastic tree, China plastic tree manufacturers, Supplier - ECVV China

Find good China plastic tree manufacturers, choose quality ...
Artificial Plastic Boxwood Topiary Tree Plant for Wedding Home Garden ...
Artificial plastic boxwood topiary tree plant for wedding garden decoration ...

China Plastic Tree Garden, Choose Quality China Plastic Tree Garden Products from Large Database of China Plastic Tree Garden Manufacturers, China Plastic ...

That was easy
This is actually an indirect ploy of China to slowly poison the rest of the world in the products that they send out. Poisons in animal food manufactured for western markets and poisons leaching out from their products that we use in our every day lives.

:D
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Hazelnut wrote:
Egg wrote:I'll be eating leftovers.

I agree. I think it was last year where a worker at a store on Long Island was trampled to death by customers when they opened on Black Friday.

Greedy, gluttonous, disgusting, non-cute animals. It was one of the many moments where I've lost faith in humanity.
Not that I disagree about the greedy, gluttonous, disgusting part of your comment, I see it that way too. But, I also see how effective marketing and advertising has become in establishing cultural values over the last 30 years. The constant barrage electronically and in print of offers and specials and deals coming at us from every quarter eventually has profound effects when multiplied by the natural human herd phenomena. Couple that with the perceived thrill a shopper gets from the potential to amass large quantities at a discount, if they are brave and strong enough to survive the mauling. The anticipated bragging rights over their "kill" is alluring as well and will remain a hot topic for the year to come.

It makes me sad.
Oh my! Hazel! How are you? Nice to see you.

Our religion is consuming and the marketers, advertisers and merchants are our priests. I don't disagree.

Egg

Post by Egg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Pana wrote:As a celebration of the birth of a demi-god (as Yeshuva ben Joseph has come to be) that takes on being human and wrestles with all the crumminess that that entails, Christmas is okay. As a cultural, binding factor that moves people beyond their self centered selves to a figure that brings hope in lives of misery and hardship, Christmas is okay. That's why the early Chrstians adopted December 21 as the birth of their hero from from the concurrent (and more popular and much older) Mithras cult that was prevalent in Roman occupied areas at the time.

Its a great idea, Christmas.

Or, in these politically correct times, should I say, Its a great idea, these "Holidays".

Faith of any kind, praying to whichever gods, has always been there for people for aeons. Its one of the few things that was available for the 'soul stuff' of being human and being human is very hard and lonely some times. Science tries to fill the void that faith once took by providiing 'balms' (ie. anti-depressants and therapy) to sooth human angst but it fails to provide a construct for the conscience that most humans have or develop human empathy that is one of the structures that we need, as a community, to survive and be successful. It fails to inspire people to be better human beings, to master themselves.

...and...in the void of all that, consumerism and the ones that prey on the experience of being human (consumer marketing maestros) offer gadgets, bells and whistles. Fluff that breaks your pocket and offers momentary satisfaction but doesnt strengthen relationships, teach patience and kindness or acceptance.

We create our gods in the images and purposes that we need and talk to them in the times of our awareness of our own vulunerabilities and frailities. That's a good thing.
I'm all for the Jesus I've read about. No doubt. Not necessarily for the Jesus some talk about, though. :D

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:49 pm

lkwalker wrote:Sink a hatchet in the plastic head of the santa claus and baby jesus in your neighbor's yard.
All the foregoing simplified. No idols, be they plastic or gold.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:51 pm

morning