The coming Iran war

lkwalker

The coming Iran war

Post by lkwalker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 pm

I offered this in response to Mungo over at the Koid. I think it may be better discussed here.

Re: Iranian Warships on the move?
Quote Originally Posted by Mungodave View Post
If two boats attack a carrier, they are suicide bombers.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

The question is... what is the motivation?

Stupid question I know.... but it IS a suicide mission, and they must be highly motivated.

Why do they think it will matter?

A quick easily manipulative headline?

This shit must stop... any attack from either side just promotes another.
Iran can take out a carrier easily with a barrage of Sunburns and America knows that. Think Exocet. Remember the Falklands War? This war will take place a little differently. It will begin with a nuclear EMP attack high over Tehran carried there by an Israeli Jericho missile. After the Iranian defenses have been blinded by the pulse and all electronics fried beyond repair, the real attack will commence. It will consist of a cruise missile barrage numbering in the hundreds. The entire 'war' will be over in a matter of a few hours. The Iranians are fully aware of this scenario and have been left with just two choices: preemption or surrender. The IDF has called this strategy 'Operation Check Mate.'

And that's all she wrote...
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Pigeon

Re: The coming Iran war

Post by Pigeon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 pm

I don't think using any nuclear weapons would be a good idea. It would tip the 'supposed bad guys' into nuke pay back mode. The US can claim they stop all these threats but sooner or later, one will happen. All winning streaks end.

I don't necessarily believe that the security is as good as we are told.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 pm

I agree. I don't find there are very many good ideas at all in this ongoing shitfest. I know that Iran and Israel were once good friends and given that both are (semi) democracies it can come to pass they'll be friends again. Given the time...

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:52 pm

Friends again, maybe the next generation of people. Seems those in control of many countries new are hell bent on destruction.

Egos...

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:30 pm

To think that we can rely on technology to win a war is hubris. That was proved when Iran cleverly overpowered GPS signals and spoofed a drone to land in one piece in their laps.
Credo quia absurdum.

Mungodave

Post by Mungodave » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 pm

lkwalker wrote:I agree. I don't find there are very many good ideas at all in this ongoing shitfest. I know that Iran and Israel were once good friends and given that both are (semi) democracies it can come to pass they'll be friends again. Given the time...

I cant see it happening while the 5th fleet sabre rattles on their doorstep.

But that being said, someone has to keep an eye on their nuclear capacity. reactors are ok for peaceful purposes if the technology is in place, but there are way too many bombs out there as it is.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:13 pm

"Preemption or surrender...".

It appears that Iran is considering the former. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46461790/ns ... _n_africa/
NBC News and news services
updated 2 hours 58 minutes ago

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran would take pre-emptive action against its enemies if it felt its national interests were endangered, the deputy head of the Islamic Republic's armed forces was quoted by a semi-official news agency as saying Tuesday.
"Our strategy now is that if we feel our enemies want to endanger Iran's national interests, and want to decide to do that, we will act without waiting for their actions,'' Mohammad Hejazi told the Fars news agency, NBC News reported.
Ratcheting up the icky stuff. This is exactly what Israel is promising. Can you smell the sweet smokes of burning flesh? At some point certain there will be the proverbial bridge too far, fear I.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 pm

"semi-official"

damned internet, damned news, what to believe - today, almost all, speak with forked tongue.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:38 pm

In Iran everything is semi official. There's really no-one in charge.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 pm

I can't see someone pulling the trigger on this one. I think Israel would need real proof to prevent most of the world from condeeming the action. Iran isn't unless it is attacked.

Just a mess