Sharia Law to Prohibit Potatoes in Schools

SweetGrass

Re: Sharia Law to Prohibit Potatoes in Schools

Post by SweetGrass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Michelle would probably be a good person for that job
Haha.

nutrition experts, maybe. When did the country decide it controls what people eat.
It doesn't. Pack your kids lunch if you're butthurt that your kid's school won't serve french fries anymore.
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:28 pm

I don't think the first lady should be making these type situations. Roll over and let the government run your kid's life. They are doing a great job running the country.

SweetGrass

Post by SweetGrass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Pigeon wrote:I don't think the first lady should be making these type situations. Roll over and let the government run your kid's life. They are doing a great job running the country.
Her theme, while her husband is in the whitehouse, is fighting childhood obesity. I don't think she made this situation. She might have influenced it, but she didn't make it.

The government does do a shitty job of running the country, but sometimes they get some things right. I think this is one of those times. The kids can have fries at home, or parents can pack fries in the kid's lunch. I personally think school lunches shouldn't be unhealthy. Maybe on special days it would be OK to have some pizza or something as a treat, like on last Fridays or something. But, not weekly or daily. If parents want to feed their kids junk food that's fine, just don't offer it to my kid at school when he is away from me. A 6 year old doesn't have enough self control to choose what his mother told him to eat over what he actually wants to eat.
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:25 pm

SweetGrass wrote:
Pigeon wrote:I don't think the first lady should be making these type situations. Roll over and let the government run your kid's life. They are doing a great job running the country.
Her theme, while her husband is in the whitehouse, is fighting childhood obesity. I don't think she made this situation. She might have influenced it, but she didn't make it.

The government does do a shitty job of running the country, but sometimes they get some things right. I think this is one of those times. The kids can have fries at home, or parents can pack fries in the kid's lunch. I personally think school lunches shouldn't be unhealthy. Maybe on special days it would be OK to have some pizza or something as a treat, like on last Fridays or something. But, not weekly or daily. If parents want to feed their kids junk food that's fine, just don't offer it to my kid at school when he is away from me. A 6 year old doesn't have enough self control to choose what his mother told him to eat over what he actually wants to eat.
Great point.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:55 pm

The first lady is not elected and her qualifications are not considered.

If you don't want what your kid might eat at school then send a lunch. Your going for another case of the school watching over how your child is raised (diet). We already have to do enough with the system. People should do their part.

SweetGrass

Post by SweetGrass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Pigeon wrote:The first lady is not elected and her qualifications are not considered.
Yes, I realize that. I meant that as a compliment to her because I admire her. I think what she is trying to accomplish is great. I think she is a truly wonderful woman that cares about the health of American children. And, I bet if she was the one designing the menus at schools, they would be great even though she is not an expert.
If you don't want what your kid might eat at school then send a lunch. Your going for another case of the school watching over how your child is raised (diet). We already have to do enough with the system. People should do their part.
I suppose we could argue back and forth forever, and no one would win.

"If you don't like it, pack a lunch."
"No, if you don't like it, then you pack a lunch."
"No, you."
"No, you!"

But, the bottom line is schools shouldn't serve junkfood. And, considering that a large percentage of kids get a free lunch, the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for junkfood.