2014 Firestorm - Southern California

Royal

2014 Firestorm - Southern California

Post by Royal » Thu May 15, 2014 4:27 am

SAN DIEGO - Governor Jerry Brown on Wednesday declared a state of emergency in San Diego County following several brush fires in the region.

San Diego County declared a local emergency and requested that Brown proclaim a state of emergency.

The state Office of Emergency Services announced Wednesday evening that federal aid will be made available to authorities fighting the Poinsettia Fire in Carlsbad after the county's declaration.

A fire management assistance grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency will reimburse the majority of firefighting costs for responding local, state and tribal agencies at the blaze, according to the state OES.

"We welcome FEMA's approval of Governor (Jerry) Brown's request for assistance," said state OES Director Mark Ghilarducci. "Fires like the Poinsettia Fire can put a strain on resources, particularly at a time when dry conditions due to the drought, above normal temperatures and winds have increased the wildfire threat significantly."

http://www.10news.com/news/san-diego-co ... res-051414
Carlsbad, California (CNN) -- Thousands of homes, a university campus, a nuclear plant, a Legoland and parts of one of the military's biggest and busiest bases: All have been evacuated due to a rare confluence of fast-moving wildfires scorching Southern California.
Cal Fire Division Chief Dave Allen said nine fires have burned 9,095 acres.

The Golden State has seen many such blazes before. But these are different because they sprung up so quickly, spread so fast, and hit months before the traditional height of wildfire season, making them menacing in the short- and long-term.

CNN meteorologist Jennifer Gray forecasts what the area might expect as the summer gives way to fall: "This is only going to get worse."
San Diego County district supervisor Bill Horn said Wednesday evening that eight fires were burning in the region, seven of which popped up that day.

Investigators haven't yet determined the cause of these fires. But Horn hasn't seen anything like this -- so many fires, so quick, all of them separate -- in at least 20 years. That this is happening in May, not July or October, is even more confounding to him.
"I'm sure it could be by chance," the clearly skeptical supervisor said. "... I just think there's too much of a coincidence here."
Whatever the cause -- whether it's a person or Mother Nature -- the impact is already being felt.

Carlsbad alone has issued 23,000 evacuation notices. Thousands of students won't have classes on Thursday due to the continuing threat; California State University-San Marcos canceled all activities through Friday, including commencement. Numerous roads have been shut down, while others have become clogged with people trying to escape.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/14/us/san-diego-wildfire/

Talk about a strange loop, :shock: good god... I hiked a trail this past Sunday. The hike was one of the most beautiful hikes I been on in a while. It had many informative posts. You know those posts about the local flora and fauna... but this new trail have posts to show the effect of wild fire on a forest area - very unique for a trail to have this! It showed the cycles from burning up to full recovery. I started to think it was odd since we did not have a massive fire since then (2007). Even when I was viewing the post I thought- if the universe is a hologram, then I should see fires soon.

Weird!
Last edited by Royal on Thu May 15, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Royal

Re: 2014 Firestorm - Southern California

Post by Royal » Thu May 15, 2014 4:35 am

Many public officials surrounding the fire are dumbfounded about two things:

1) Many wild fires springing up at once
2) Santa Anna Winds (East to West) in May

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu May 15, 2014 12:59 pm

People will someday get more serious over arson. A high percentage of the human race is screwed up. I suppose the measuring stick will be change soon though to make it seem ok.

The state had one in the panhandle Sunday. Must have been an outlier from the CA fires.

Royal

Post by Royal » Fri May 16, 2014 1:38 am

Fire Surfing

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri May 16, 2014 2:13 am

Why would someone be so surprised by a fire, smoke and flames when driving past a wild fire.

Can't the soldiers at Camp Pendleton fight that fire.

Royal

Post by Royal » Fri May 16, 2014 2:52 am

Pigeon wrote:Why would someone be so surprised by a fire, smoke and flames when driving past a wild fire.

Can't the soldiers at Camp Pendleton fight that fire.
From what I heard, the military is utilizing resources around the Camp Pendleton fire.

Resources are spread thin.

Royal

Post by Royal » Fri May 16, 2014 3:51 am

http://www.10news.com/news/carlsbad-fir ... vital-clue\

CARLSBAD - Video shot by a landscaper may provide a clue as to what started a destructive fire in Carlsbad.

The video was shot Wednesday by Adam Jordan, who was working above Poinsettia Lane.

"I saw a bush on fire next to the golf course and then all of a sudden the whole tree got engulfed in flames," he said. "And you could see someone in a golf cart drive away, stop about a couple of hundred yards, turn around and just start watching it. From there it took a matter of 20 minutes to jump over the street into the hillside."

Minutes after he started recording, the fire climbed a neighboring hill and took off. By the end of the video you can see thick, black smoke pouring from a neighborhood.

"I didn't actually witness the man -- he was too far away to see what he was wearing," Jordan said.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri May 16, 2014 3:56 am

Time to unplug your golf cart, if ya got one.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri May 16, 2014 4:04 am

CNN showed the firenado in San Marcos.

Royal

Post by Royal » Fri May 16, 2014 4:10 am

Some guy called into the radio and was personifying the fires.

he kept saying " these fires are angggry!!!!"

"...It looks like two fires (mentioned names of fires) have merged and became one annnggry fire"

Couldn't help but chuckle...