Faster than light?

Egg

Re: Faster than light?

Post by Egg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:13 pm

lkwalker wrote:OK. I understand what you're saying. But this is a bigggggg discovery, if true.
This is huge. This is like the discovery of the Field. The quantum field or whatever the hell it's called. Pure energy at the root of everything. And, it reacts to consciousness.

Correct me if I'm wrong,

Schrodinger (the cat in the box guy) decides that as soon as we pay attention to quantum reality we're changing it. However, he originally meant that by measuring it there was no way for us not to physically mess with it, so we'd change it through tampering.

I don't remember who, but later on some other quantum physicist takes it a step further and says that it is actually not just our physically tampering with it that changes things but our consciousness.
Am I remembering this wrong? If I'm not, I doubt will ever get to the very bottom of anything because we'll keep creating a new bottom.

Reality is wanky.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:18 pm

"All of Western Philosophy is a footnote to Plato," said Alfred North Whitehead (who was also a gift to humanity.). Whitehead would be as excited by this new discovery as Plato and Einstein. And me, too. Fuck, man- this is big.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:20 pm

lkwalker wrote:"All of Western Philosophy is a footnote to Plato," said Alfred North Whitehead (who was also a gift to humanity.). Whitehead would be as excited by this new discovery as Plato and Einstein. And me, too. Fuck, man- this is big.
the question is, how are they going to make a buck off of it?

Send McDonald's franchises into the past? :D

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:31 pm

The same way Galileo did. Pizza Coupons.

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:04 pm

This isn't huge at all.

I'm going back to bed.

Wake me when I can go back and see a Nirvana show.

EDIT:

Meaning make a time machine out of a DeLorean, then come to my house and when I say "Hey Doc, we don't have enough road to get up to 88." respond by stating "Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:09 pm

OK

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:11 pm

GOOD.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:35 pm

So, does anyone remember if I have the Schrodinger thing right or am I going to have to look that up now?

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:09 pm

von Neumann/Wigner interpretation: consciousness causes the collapse

In his treatise The Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, John von Neumann deeply analyzed the so-called measurement problem. He concluded that the entire physical universe could be made subject to the Schrödinger equation (the universal wave function). Since something "outside the calculation" was needed to collapse the wave function, von Neumann concluded that the collapse was caused by the consciousness of the experimenter.[22] This point of view was later more prominently expanded on by Eugene Wigner, but remains a view held by very few physicists.[23]

Variations of the von Neumann interpretation include:

Subjective reduction research

This principle, that consciousness causes the collapse, is the point of intersection between quantum mechanics and the mind/body problem; and researchers are working to detect conscious events correlated with physical events that, according to quantum theory, should involve a wave function collapse; but, thus far, results are inconclusive.[24][25]

Participatory anthropic principle (PAP)
Main article: Anthropic principle

John Archibald Wheeler's participatory anthropic principle says that consciousness plays some role in bringing the universe into existence.[26]

Other physicists have elaborated their own variations of the von Neumann interpretation; including:

* Henry P. Stapp (Mindful Universe: Quantum Mechanics and the Participating Observer)
* Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner (Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness)

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks, Pigeon. I buy into the whole consciousness creates reality thing. Which is a very scary prospect.

Look outside and then ask yourself, what the hell are we thinking?