Fred on Hawking

Dr Exile

Fred on Hawking

Post by Dr Exile » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:49 pm

"Recently I found the noted astrophysicist Stephen Hawking quoted, perhaps correctly, as saying that humanity may be on the verge of understanding everything whatever."

"If one may differ with a cosmogonist, I suggest that we understand almost nothing."

"...I note that the brightest of a large population of hamsters is, after all, a hamster."

"I have tried to imagine how an infant wasp, crawling unschooled from where its mother left it as an egg, knows how to find a tarantula, where to sting it, and how to bury it. One would think the world would be a confusing place to such a newborn with no experience of it and only the outline of a nervous system. Yet they do it unerringly. More is going on here than I think we know.

My idiot dog Deacon showed up and set about whuffling in the black undergrowth. He was an agreeable if foolish brute, and appeared to be the product of illicit coupling between a German shepherd and a boxcar. Why he whuffled, I don't know. I didn't need to know. He did what is proper to his place in things and I, what is proper to mine. He sniffed, and I supervised sunsets. It suited us."

Perhaps Fred Reed understands The Great Pooh Bear, the world just is.
Credo quia absurdum.

Pigeon

Re: Fred on Hawking

Post by Pigeon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 pm

It might just be that we are unable to understand because, due to the system, we are not capable of understanding.

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Well I like to think of it this way:

We can definitely take our ability to understand the universe to its absolute limit, and then declare that the universe has been solved. In many ways, it would be solved for US...... but on that day, there will be nowhere else for humanity to go but away, in order for a new understanding to emerge and flourish.

Knowledge is kind of an institutionalized clinging, but in clinging, we're being very futile and childish because we're not really clinging to anything tangible. We cannot solve the mysteries of the universe and one another by trying to grasp at things.

"Abandon all ye who enter here."
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi Kim,

Bump
Credo quia absurdum.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:23 pm

I agree with the Hawk. Everything will ultimately distill to one shared absurd thought. And we shall know god for one brief instant before she bangs the lights out. I'm sorry if this brief comment launches the Indy into a bemused and lovely rant. I am prepared!

Indy... You're up.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Dr Exile wrote:Hi Kim,

Bump
Hey, brother. I need to step in the dolphin decontamination unit to get the PudgyMidget's foul breath off my clothes. Hahahahahaha

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:27 pm

I remembered way beck in the cobwebs that Snow was some sort of mutant, but could not remember. Thanks for bringing back the stub.
Credo quia absurdum.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:29 pm

I made that up but it's apparently true! Go figure that. I feel very badly for Chii. I think she's about to have a very disappointing trip.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:34 pm

My Grandmother fostered 86 kids, most of them terminal. The worst one lived, a female version of Snow, the vilest creature the world had ever known. Each time Snow speaks I see that vile bitch in my mind. Describing her, describes him. Pudgy fingers, spit, and all.
Credo quia absurdum.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:05 pm

I remember it was Chorlton who first exposed him.