Researchers Succeed in Quantum Teleportation of Light Waves

Egg

Researchers Succeed in Quantum Teleportation of Light Waves

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:04 pm

I think I posted something on this last week. Here's a bit more.

In a real-life use of Schrödinger's theoretical paradoxical cat, researchers report that they were able to quickly transfer a complex set of quantum information while preserving its integrity. The information, in the form of light, was manipulated in such a way that it existed in two states at the same time, and it was destroyed in one spot and recreated in another. The new breakthrough is a major step toward building safe, effective quantum computers.
No felines were harmed in the making of this experiment, which actually studied wave packets of light that existed in a state of quantum superposition, meaning they existed in two different phases simultaneously. This phenomenon is described in Erwin Schrodinger’s quantum mechanics thought experiment, in which a cat is simultaneously dead and alive, depending on the state of a subatomic particle.

Technology, Rebecca Boyle, computers, photon entanglement, quantum computing, quantum mechanics, quantum teleportation, Schrodinger's Cat, teleportationIn this experiment, researchers in Australia and Japan were able to transfer quantum information from one place to another without having to physically move it. It was destroyed in one place and instantly resurrected in another, “alive” again and unchanged. This is a major advance, as previous teleportation experiments were either very slow or caused some information to be lost.
The team employed a mind-boggling set of quantum manipulation techniques to achieve this, including squeezing, photon subtraction, entanglement and homodyne detection. The photo above depicts their device, nicknamed the Teleporter, in the lab of Akira Furusawa at the University of Tokyo.
The results pave the way for high-speed, high-fidelity transmission of information, according to Elanor Huntington, a professor at the University of New South Wales in Australia who was part of the study.
“If we can do this, we can do just about any form of communication needed for any quantum technology,”
she said in a news release.
Instead of using ones and zeroes, quantum computers store data as qubits, which can represent one and zero simultaneously. This superposition enables the computers to solve multiple problems at once. The new, faster teleportation process means scientists can move blocks of this quantum information around within a computer or across a network, Huntington said.
Optics researcher Philippe Grangier at the Institut d’Optique in Palaiseau, France, said it was a major breakthrough.
“It shows that the controlled manipulation of quantum objects has progressed steadily and achieved objectives that seemed impossible just a few years ago,” he wrote in an editorial that accompanies the study.
The results were published today in the journal Science.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/articl ... -computing

Pigeon

Re: Researchers Succeed in Quantum Teleportation of Light Wa

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Some really amazing stuff.

I would be cool it at some point a quantum network get created and it instantly becomes part of some universe wide quantum internet.

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Pigeon wrote:Some really amazing stuff.

I would be cool it at some point a quantum network get created and it instantly becomes part of some universe wide quantum internet.
Instantaneous internet - Faster than light Trolling!

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Just a theory but what if when a civilization get to a certain level of understanding and using quantum thoery that it becomes plugged into a whole new level of existence with the rest of the universe. it is the mark of moving to a new level of understanding.

About like allowing your computer to finally connect to the internet and having the Google search screen pop open.

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Pigeon wrote:Just a theory but what if when a civilization get to a certain level of understanding and using quantum thoery that it becomes plugged into a whole new level of existence with the rest of the universe. it is the mark of moving to a new level of understanding.

About like allowing your computer to finally connect to the internet and having the Google search screen pop open.
I hope you're right. I rather think we'll have retards and morons teleporting all over the universe like a virus. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:58 pm

I would imagine there is a fire wall to protect things from new guys. :)

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Okay, this stuff makes me excited but for the life of me I have a hard time understanding it.

How do they know that the information was the same information and just moved from one place to another?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm not exactly sure, but just like no two fingerprints or snowflakes are alike a I'm sure there is some way to tell one quark apart from another.

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:35 pm

I took this from the comments following the article on your link, Egg:

By DaveWright

"The Schroedinger cat thought experiment actually dealt with the apparent ability of conscious observation to collapse superposition quantum states. Many physicists such as David Bohm and Roger Penrose have described how the human brain itself may be operating as a quantum computer. Research suggests that mental thought collapses the superposition states of calcium ions that enter neuronal vesicles and thus cause neurons to fire or not fire and animate our behavior. This is controversial because the only current experiments we can do with qubits in the lab today require near absolute zero temperatures to achieve entanglement. It's not clear that quantum entanglement effects would be sustainable in the warm and wet environment of the brain but evolution has solved harder information problems than this before (see DNA). One exciting possibility would be the ability to transfer the quantum states of a human mind to a machine consciousness that could last hundreds or even thousands of years. This would allow us to explore distant galaxies and achieve a degree of immortality beyond the capacity of natural evolution."
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Pana wrote:I took this from the comments following the article on your link, Egg:

By DaveWright

"The Schroedinger cat thought experiment actually dealt with the apparent ability of conscious observation to collapse superposition quantum states. Many physicists such as David Bohm and Roger Penrose have described how the human brain itself may be operating as a quantum computer. Research suggests that mental thought collapses the superposition states of calcium ions that enter neuronal vesicles and thus cause neurons to fire or not fire and animate our behavior. This is controversial because the only current experiments we can do with qubits in the lab today require near absolute zero temperatures to achieve entanglement. It's not clear that quantum entanglement effects would be sustainable in the warm and wet environment of the brain but evolution has solved harder information problems than this before (see DNA). One exciting possibility would be the ability to transfer the quantum states of a human mind to a machine consciousness that could last hundreds or even thousands of years. This would allow us to explore distant galaxies and achieve a degree of immortality beyond the capacity of natural evolution."
That's some interesting stuff right there. I tried writing a sci fi story years ago with this idea in mind (without the science behind it). It's exciting stuff but I think the human mind minus the human body ceases to be the human mind, if you follow me.