Gravity - crap on a cracker

Pigeon

Gravity - crap on a cracker

Post by Pigeon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Spy66 posted on 10/20/2012 @ 06:52

How would the earths gravitational force effect a mass inside a vacuume that runs from N to S?
The vacuume or the 10kg mass will never see the force/mass working on the out side walls of this tunnel.

If you built a vacuume tunnel that runs from the North pole throught earths center and to the South Pole. And on the North Pole you placed a 10kg weight into the vacuume tunnel. Would the weight fall/travel to the South Pole?

My teacher/Professor tells me that the 10kg weight would fall to the South Pole. I am telling him that the 10kg weight would not travel anywhere.

Here is someone who thinks a vacuum negates the force of gravity. I don't know what to think.

Teacher of the Year....lol

Royal

Re: Gravity - crap on a cracker

Post by Royal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 am

How would the earths gravitational force effect a mass inside a vacuume that runs from N to S?
The vacuume or the 10kg mass will never see the force/mass working on the out side walls of this tunnel.

If you built a vacuume tunnel that runs from the North pole throught earths center and to the South Pole. And on the North Pole you placed a 10kg weight into the vacuume tunnel. Would the weight fall/travel to the South Pole?

My teacher/Professor tells me that the 10kg weight would fall to the South Pole. I am telling him that the 10kg weight would not travel anywhere.

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:22 am

I shouldn't criticize too much. I don't know either. Maybe some google searches, wikipedias, and common sense can bring some light to the problem.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:53 pm

People seem to be split between it ending up in the center of the Earth or oscillating back and forth between the poles.

Bring Richard Feynman back from the grave.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:32 pm

A few words from Richard Feynman

Feynman devoted the latter half of his book What Do You Care What Other People Think? to his experience on the Rogers Commission, straying from his usual convention of brief, light-hearted anecdotes to deliver an extended and sober narrative.

Feynman's account reveals a disconnect between NASA's engineers and executives that was far more striking than he expected.

His interviews of NASA's high-ranking managers revealed startling misunderstandings of elementary concepts. For instance, NASA managers claimed that there was a 1 in 100,000 chance of a catastrophic failure aboard the shuttle, but Feynman discovered that NASA's own engineers estimated the chance of a catastrophe at closer to 1 in 100.

He concluded that the space shuttle reliability estimate by NASA management was fantastically unrealistic, and he was particularly angered that NASA used these figures to recruit Christa McAuliffe into the Teacher-in-Space program.

He warned in his appendix to the commission's report (which was included only after he threatened not to sign the report), "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Most would like to hear a 1 in 100,000 chance rather than 1 in 100. Either way, I bet you can get thousands of teachers to sign up for a 1 in 10 chance. I think the destination of space trumps all terrestrial goals. A public space program will make big money and people will save up, or finance it, like a car.

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Do you know anything about gravity?

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:37 am

Given the number of shuttle flights and disasters, that 1-100 was about right.

Gravity, about as much as the average person who attended science class.