A Mini Universe

TraumaT

Re: A Mini Universe

Post by TraumaT » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 pm

Ozfactor wrote:
There are those out here that really do want to explore...

Well, if it is exploring through psychedelics, no thanks. I like my brain to be clear, not pickled in some drug sauce.

And I do not share your pessimism regarind the motives behind space exploration.

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Egg wrote:I think this might be what Oz is getting at:
“It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.”

Albert Einstein

“All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal.”

Albert Einstein
He said those words not long before his death. Have you read his memoirs or any of his commentary?

I would suggest watching this PBS documentary. It's six parts on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVJyaJ5T ... re=related
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.
Emerson

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:23 pm

TraumaT wrote:
Ozfactor wrote:
There are those out here that really do want to explore...

Well, if it is exploring through psychedelics, no thanks. I like my brain to be clear, not pickled in some drug sauce.

And I do not share your pessimism regarind the motives behind space exploration.
Are you also sharing with cleaning up all the debris we have left behind?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.
Emerson

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Ozfactor wrote:
Egg wrote:I think this might be what Oz is getting at:
“It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.”

Albert Einstein

“All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal.”

Albert Einstein
He said those words not long before his death. Have you read his memoirs or any of his commentary?

I would suggest watching this PBS documentary. It's six parts on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVJyaJ5T ... re=related
I read something about his sayins and beliefs maybe 6 years ago. Should still have the book at home. Don't remember the name, though.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:26 pm

Ozfactor wrote:
What do you mean by that question? Sharing in what sense?

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 pm

I think it was "Ideas and Opinions", could be wrong though.

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:32 pm

His saddest moment of life was his realization that his theories had been used to create the atom bomb.
I believe that the terrible decline in man’s ethical behavior is due primarily to the mechanization and depersonalization of our lives—a disastrous by-product of the development of the technological-scientific intellect. Nostra culpa! I see no way of dealing with this fatal shortcoming. Man cools more quickly than planet he inhabits.
Another of my favorite quotes.
Emerson

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Yeah, he was a devout pacifist.

I remember, at the time, he went way past any ideas of peace that I had.

He still does, probably.

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:39 pm

"The World As I See It" is a collection of essays on his social views. The documentary I linked is based on them. A pacifist indeed, but had the advantage in the more proper critiques of what science ultimately brings us.
Emerson

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:44 pm

TraumaT wrote:
Ozfactor wrote:
What do you mean by that question? Sharing in what sense?
Cleaning it up. Every-time we explore we leave a trail of debris and destruction.
Emerson