Cheaper Hydrogen Fuel Cells

Egg

Cheaper Hydrogen Fuel Cells

Post by Egg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Hey, some good news!

Los Alamos National Laboratory scientists have developed a way to avoid the use of expensive platinum in hydrogen fuel cells, the environmentally friendly devices that might replace current power sources in everything from personal data devices to automobiles.

Polymer-electrolyte hydrogen fuel cells convert hydrogen and oxygen into electricity. The cells can be enlarged and combined in series for high-power applications, including automobiles. Under optimal conditions, the hydrogen fuel cell produces water as a “waste” product and does not emit greenhouse gasses. However, because the use of platinum in catalysts is necessary to facilitate the reactions that produce electricity within a fuel cell, widespread use of fuel cells in common applications has been cost prohibitive. An increase in the demand for platinum-based catalysts could drive up the cost of platinum even higher than its current value of nearly $1,800 an ounce.

The Los Alamos researchers developed non-precious-metal catalysts for the part of the fuel cell that reacts with oxygen. The catalysts — which use carbon (partially derived from polyaniline in a high-temperature process), and inexpensive iron and cobalt instead of platinum — yielded high power output, good efficiency, and promising longevity. The researchers found that fuel cells containing the carbon-iron-cobalt catalyst synthesized by Wu not only generated currents comparable to the output of precious-metal-catalyst fuel cells, but held up favorably when cycled on and off — a condition that can damage inferior catalysts relatively quickly.

Moreover, the carbon-iron-cobalt catalyst fuel cells effectively completed the conversion of hydrogen and oxygen into water, rather than producing large amounts of undesirable hydrogen peroxide. Inefficient conversion of the fuels, which generates hydrogen peroxide, can reduce power output by up to 50 percent, and also has the potential to destroy fuel cell membranes. Fortunately, the carbon- iron-cobalt catalysts synthesized at Los Alamos create extremely small amounts of hydrogen peroxide, even when compared with state-of-the-art platinum-based oxygen-reduction catalysts.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141628.htm

lkwalker

Re: Cheaper Hydrogen Fuel Cells

Post by lkwalker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:20 pm

What's the point of pasting that kind of horseshit? Filler?
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Some people like it you contrary fucker.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:07 pm

I read somewhere they (whoever they are) also developed an alternative that didn't use hydrogen at all. Will try and find it.

Uh...

It was the same report as yours, Egg.

:D
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:51 pm

I patented a fuel cell that ran on doggie doo. The Feds seized the patent, and told me if I ever talked, they would kill my grandma.
Credo quia absurdum.

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Pana wrote:I read somewhere they (whoever they are) also developed an alternative that didn't use hydrogen at all. Will try and find it.

Uh...

It was the same report as yours, Egg.

:D
Listen, any good idea will be swallowed up by the owners of old ideas. The best 5 electric car battery patents are owned by the oil companies....