MAJOR: US atom smasher may have found new force of nature

Pam
Princess Feet

Re: MAJOR: US atom smasher may have found new force of natur

Post by Pam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm

So would that mainly gear towards, ways of travel?

When I read that, my mind thought change in travel, time, space etc. Whole new world (ability to travel anywhere in the universe)

I know far fetched but that is the first thing that came to my mind.

I totally do not understand physics.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Physics can apply to anything. Most physics - at least since the discovery or theorizing of quantum - starts of abstract, how it will be applied happens later on. If there's a way to apply it to some aspect of warfare (travel is one) it will probably be researched before a more benign application.

But, I thought the same thing as you - how will this be applied?

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Pam wrote:What do you think this means "whole new world of interactions"

Interactions with what or who?
When sunlight strikes plant leaves and contributes its energy, that's an "interaction". When an object falls off of the shelf, that's gravity "interacting" with the object's mass. There are other, much more subtle interactions at play in the physical world....such as atomic decay....we don't see it, but that is an interaction with the weak force. Or the ozone layer absorbing solar radiation.

Each 'force' in the natural world has interactions with matter and/or energy. Some we're familiar with; in this case, if they think they've uncovered some new force, now they would look for further evidence of it through what it interacts with.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:56 pm

MrPenny wrote:
Pam wrote:What do you think this means "whole new world of interactions"

Interactions with what or who?
When sunlight strikes plant leaves and contributes its energy, that's an "interaction". When an object falls off of the shelf, that's gravity "interacting" with the object's mass. There are other, much more subtle interactions at play in the physical world....such as atomic decay....we don't see it, but that is an interaction with the weak force. Or the ozone layer absorbing solar radiation.

Each 'force' in the natural world has interactions with matter and/or energy. Some we're familiar with; in this case, if they think they've uncovered some new force, now they would look for further evidence of it through what it interacts with.
Good explanation.

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:09 pm

:?

Oh my.... that good explanation started off good but then the ending confused me again.

Sorry... feel dumb posting in this thread, I guess I need pictures to understand.

Right from the start, there was so much excitment about this project so I tried to follow it and understand it, but like I said earlier, science confuses me. I want to know, so every time there is news or information I read it but I feel like I am reading a foreign language. I just keep hoping something will be said eventually to make sense to me.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Without rereading the articles, seemed they saw a particle break into regular quarks (they make up a proton, neutron) where it is prdicted that they should have been different (heavier?). Something doesn't fit the Standard Model.