UFB - OSHA App Costs Gov't $200k

Pigeon

UFB - OSHA App Costs Gov't $200k

Post by Pigeon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:51 am

How much does it cost to make a phone app to tell local temperature and suggest how not to get heatstroke, such as drink water and avoid alcohol? If you're the U.S. Government, it'll cost you a pretty penny. Using MuckRock to file a Freedom of Information Act, Rich Jones of GUN.IO discovered the Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration paid $106,467 for the Android version; $96,000 for the iPhone version, and an additional $40,000 for a BlackBerry app that never got distributed.

Link

Pretty damn sweet deal for that piece of crap app. Try a $2 thermometer and a printed piece of paper handed out to everyone without common sense.

Pigeon

Re: UFB - OSHA App Costs Gov't $200k

Post by Pigeon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:48 am

Here is an excerpt from gun.io, the guy that found this info.

I'm not quite sure how I stumbled onto it, but I found that OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, part of the United States Department of Labor) have an Android application. The purpose of the application is to provide information about the heat index and the corresponding safety warnings. Essentially, it is a temperature converter, it converts a temperature into a safety level. Being an Android developer myself, I wanted to give it a try to see how it handled.

Pardon my French, but I really cannot stress how bad this application is. Firstly, it isn't actually capable of the function it is supposed to do. When I first tried the application, it told me that it was currently 140F in Boston. It is also extremely slow, it looks like butt, and it crashes all the time. It is completely horrible in every way. If I had to reproduce it, I'd say that it would take be about 6 hours at the maximum. At my hourly rate of $100, that's $600. Now, the quality of the product didn't surprise me a huge amount - I don't ever expect very much from the federal government. Still, I was curious about how much we taxpayers payed for the program - and it knocked me off my feet.

The other issue is the source code. In my opinion, since we taxpayers paid for the development of this piece of shit, we should at least be able to modify and redistrubute the code. Apparently though, the Government doesn't have to supply any information which it considers to be a "trade secret," and OSHA has determined that this crappy source code is somehow a privileged secret. This means that the company which wrote the application was allowed to object to the release of the source code, since the time limit on their objection time has since lapsed and OSHA hasn't sent the source code, I can only assume that they have filed such an objection, making this $200,000 worth of broken proprietary software which the public isn't even allowed to fix.

The company that produced this expensive shitpile is Eastern Research Group Inc, a Massachusetts based company which is actually owned by AEA Technology, a British corporation. ERG is a "green" consultancy who claim to be able to do damn near everything a government could ever ask for, from mobile application development to industrial hygiene, from military explosive engineering to event catering.

We can only hope they do a better job of securing explosives than they do at making Android applications.

Read the whole blog entry here