We can't let Luddites decide legislation like SOPA

Pigeon

We can't let Luddites decide legislation like SOPA

Post by Pigeon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Couldn't pass up posting this given the reference to the L word.

As the world gets more and more technical, we can't let Luddites decide the fate of dangerous legislation like SOPA, writes Deep End's Paul Venezia. 'Very few politicians get technology. Many actually seem proud that they don't use the Internet or even email, like it's some kind of badge of honor that they've kept their heads in the sand for so long. These are the same people who will vote on noxious legislation like SOPA, openly dismissing the concerns and facts presented by those who know the technology intimately. The best quote from the SOPA debates: "We're operating on the Internet without any doctors or nurses on the room." That is precisely correct,' Venezia writes. 'The best we can do for the short term is to throw everything we can behind legislation to reinstate the Office of Technology Assessment. From 1974 through 1995, this small group with a tiny budget served as an impartial, nonpartisan advisory to the U.S. Congress on all matters technological.'

Link

TraumaT

Re: We can't let Luddites decide legislation like SOPA

Post by TraumaT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:46 pm

OK, I'll admit it. I don't know what SOPA is. I did some Googling, got a bunch of walls of politics.

Can someone explain it to me -- in very simple terms?

TraumaT

Re: We can't let Luddites decide legislation like SOPA

Post by TraumaT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Never mind, I get it, kinda.

Another step towards the police state.