New DoS attacks taking down game sites

Pigeon

New DoS attacks taking down game sites

Post by Pigeon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:02 am

Recent denial-of-service attacks taking down League of Legends and other popular gaming services are doing more than just wielding a rarely-seen technique to vastly amplify the amount of junk traffic directed at targets. In at least some cases, their devastating effects can deprive celebrity game players of huge amounts of money.
Among the recent targets of this type of attack are game servers used by celebrity players who broadcast live video streams of their gaming prowess that are viewed as many as 50,000 times. In some cases, the massive audiences translate into tens of thousands of dollars per month, as ads are displayed beside video feeds of the players blowing away opponents in Dota 2 and other games.

"These people generate revenue using game servers, so when they're attacked it creates dramatic financial loss for them," said Matt Mahvi, CEO and founder of Staminus, a service that blocks more than 100,000 DoS attacks each month. "I can see that our customers were streaming [and] their game servers were being attacked. I'm seeing these massive, massive attacks that come in against our customers."

Link

Cry me a river. Maybe those people should do something that adds value to society.