ICDL

Kat

ICDL

Post by Kat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:56 am

As at today I am the moderately proud bearer of an ICDL, having crammed five exams into three one hour sessions in the past four days. The head of the local business school bet me over drinks three weeks ago that I couldn't do it - but I have to be thankful to him for extending the program for all enrolled students six months beyond the official closing date. The government has cut back on all manner of educational funding including this, and with various travels and prolonged absences I managed to get through it on the last possible day.

My bachelor's, two master's and five graduate diplomas don't adorn any walls (nor are they on my CV - LOL!) but I will display this one proudly on receipt.

I feel for the five people who failed their last single exam in the lab in the same hour session that I managed to pass the database and presentations modules earlier today. And I was surprised to see a former staff member there; I had encouraged her to do this in 2007 and there she was finishing at the same time.

Enough skiting. Are there any other proud owner/drivers here?
If I could get any animal it would be a dolphin. I want one bad. Me and my mom went swimming with dolphins. I was like, 'How do we get one of those?' and she was like, 'You can't get a dolphin. What are you gonna do, put it in your pool?' Miley Cyrus

Pam
Princess Feet

Re: ICDL

Post by Pam » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:31 pm

What is an ICDL? Some kind of International Drivers License?

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:27 pm

It's a hunting licence for hunting dolphins and squirrels.
Credo quia absurdum.

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:59 pm

It's some sort of certificate for bloated intellectuals to balk about and subjugate others with.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:05 pm

IndicusMaximus wrote:It's some sort of certificate for bloated intellectuals to balk about and subjugate others with.
Well, then I am getting one. I need to bloat my deflated intellect a bit, so I'll be allowed to discuss UFOs again.

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Eh no need. Intellect is overrated.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 pm

I looked it up folks, it's some kind of permit proving that you read "DOS for Dummies".
Credo quia absurdum.

Kat

Post by Kat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:51 am

Dr Exile is probably most correct. It's an International Computer Driving License.

I don't think intellect is overrated. But "academic rigor" might be, ask any professor after several drinks too many.

TraumaT - in your patch (I think) it's ECDL (European), well worth it, use the CD version rather than trying to do it on line or on campus.

Back to regular programming.
If I could get any animal it would be a dolphin. I want one bad. Me and my mom went swimming with dolphins. I was like, 'How do we get one of those?' and she was like, 'You can't get a dolphin. What are you gonna do, put it in your pool?' Miley Cyrus

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:40 am

Kat wrote:
TraumaT - in your patch (I think) it's ECDL (European), well worth it, use the CD version rather than trying to do it on line or on campus.
Ok, right after I have learned this tool (or rather a new and specialized version of it, created for the magazine I work for):

http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign.html

Yup. Meltdowns on a regular basis. Thankfully there is this extremely patient and kind guy who sits at the desk next to mine. He knows EVERYTHING (I think he may be God) and always helps me out when I accidentaly click the wrong button and then suddenly the layout of a page is upside down or a pic disappears or is inverted or the title font size is all wrong and what the hell happened to that byline and...

Sigh.

Kat

Post by Kat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:01 am

Do you use quark or pagemaker as well, or are they old hat?