Great, now I have a goo all over my Rhind Papyrus

Royal

Great, now I have a goo all over my Rhind Papyrus

Post by Royal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:35 am

The Rhind Papyrus is considered to be the most IMPORTANT known SOURCE of information concerning ancient Egyptian Mathematics. This muther fucking scroll, about a foot (30 centimeters) high and 18 feet (5.5 meters) long, was found in a tomb in Thebes on the east bank of the river Nile. Ahmes, the scribe, wrote it in hieratic, a script related to the hieroglyphic system. Given that the writing occurred in around 1650 B.C., this makes Ahmes the earliest known symbols for mathematical operations: plus is denoted by a pair of legs walking towards the number to be added.
Can you guess the leg position for multiplication?
CORRECT!

Royal

Re: Great, now I have a goo all over my Rhind Papyrus

Post by Royal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:45 am

Ahmes wrote the scroll gives an "accurate reckoning for inquiring into things, and the knowledge of all things, mysteries, ... all secrets. " The content of the scroll concerns mathematical problems involving fractions, arithmetic progressions, and algebra, and pyramid geometry, as well as practical mathematics useful for surveying, building, and accounting :) . The problem that intrigues me the most is Problem 79, the interpretation of which was initially baffling.

Many interpret problem 79 as a puzzle, which may be translated as "Seven houses contain seven cats. Each cat kills seven mice. Each mouse had eaten seven ears of grain. Each ear of grain would have produced seven hekats (measures) of wheat. What is the total of all of these?"