Strange loops

Pigeon

Strange loops

Post by Pigeon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 pm

A strange loop arises when, by moving up or down through a hierarchical system, one finds oneself back where one started.

Strange loops may involve self-reference and paradox. A tangled hierarchy is a hierarchical system in which a strange loop appears.

A strange loop is a hierarchy of levels, each of which is linked to at least one other by some type of relationship. A strange loop hierarchy, however, is "tangled" (Hofstadter refers to this as a "heterarchy"), in that there is no well defined highest or lowest level; moving through the levels, one eventually returns to the starting point, i.e., the original level. Examples of strange loops that Hofstadter offers include: many of the works of M. C. Escher, the information flow network between DNA and enzymes through protein synthesis and DNA replication, and self-referential Gödelian statements in formal systems.

Strange loops in cognitive science

Strange loops take form in human consciousness as the complexity of active symbols in the brain inevitably lead to the same kind of self-reference which Gödel proved was inherent in any complex logical or arithmetical system in his Incompleteness Theorem. [1] Gödel showed that mathematics and logic contain Strange Loops: propositions that not only refer to mathematical/logical truths, but also to the symbol systems expressing those truths. This leads to the sort of paradoxes seen in statements such as "This statement is false," wherein the sentence's basis of truth is found in referring to itself and its assertion, causing a logical paradox.

Strangeness

Hofstadter argues that the psychological self arises out of a similar kind of paradox. We are not born with an ‘I’ – the ego emerges only gradually as experience shapes our dense web of active symbols into a tapestry rich and complex enough to begin twisting back upon itself. According to this view the psychological ‘I’ is a narrative fiction, something created only from intake of symbolic data and its own ability to create stories about itself from that data. The consequence is that a perspective (a mind) is a culmination of a unique pattern of symbolic activity in our nervous systems, which suggests that the pattern of symbolic activity that makes identity, that constitutes subjectivity, can be replicated within the brains of others, and perhaps even in artificial brains.

Downward causality

Hofstadter thinks our minds appear to us to determine the world by way of "downward causality", which refers to a situation where a cause-and-effect relationship in a system gets flipped upside-down. Hofstadter claims this happens in the proof of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem:

"Merely from knowing the formula's meaning, one can infer its truth or falsity without any effort to derive it in the old-fashioned way, which requires one to trudge methodically "upwards" from the axioms. This is not just peculiar; it is astonishing. Normally, one cannot merely look at what a mathematical conjecture says and simply appeal to the content of that statement on its own to deduce whether the statement is true or false. (pp. 169-170)”

Hofstadter claims a similar "flipping around of causality" appears to happen in minds possessing self-consciousness. The mind perceives itself as the cause of certain feelings, ("I" am the source of my desires), while scientifically, feelings and desires are strictly caused by the interactions of neurons.

Royal

Re: Strange loops

Post by Royal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 am

..."flipping around of causality" appears to happen in minds possessing self-consciousness. The mind perceives itself as the cause of certain feelings, ("I" am the source of my desires), while scientifically, feelings and desires are strictly caused by the interactions of neurons.
Reminds me of the locus of control concept.

Pana

Post by Pana » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:36 pm

But scientifically they still havent found the dynamic of human consciousness - or how to explain it scientifically.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Royal

Post by Royal » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Mystery schools discuss the levels of human consciousness. And the more I read about the latest in neuroscience, the more it agrees with mystery school teachings.

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:06 am

ROFL

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 am

The Ouroboros or Uroboros , tail-devouring snake, is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail.

The Ouroboros often symbolize self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things such as the phoenix which operate in cycles that begin anew as soon as they end. It can also represent the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting from the beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished.