One Sperm Donor, 150 Offspring

MrPenny

Re: One Sperm Donor, 150 Offspring

Post by MrPenny » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Pam wrote:It isn't the chance of potential genetic problems in offspring that bothers me so much as it is of what I consider right and wrong.
I get it. Completely.

I tend to think globally though.....leads me to wonder why some things are considered wrong or right.

So, if you never discovered the fact of a shared father.....then what? It's fine?

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:58 pm

A little knowledge often changes everything.

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:59 pm

MrPenny wrote:
Pam wrote:It isn't the chance of potential genetic problems in offspring that bothers me so much as it is of what I consider right and wrong.
I get it. Completely.

I tend to think globally though.....leads me to wonder why some things are considered wrong or right.

So, if you never discovered the fact of a shared father.....then what? It's fine?

What you don't know won't hurt you...... it is when you find out that the problems arise.

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Pam wrote:What you don't know won't hurt you...... it is when you find out that the problems arise.
See.....I don't get that. To me it's like if you ate a hotdog a week ago, and today someone tells you it was bad.....does it seem right to suddenly get sick....if you felt fine all along?

Nothing materially changes.....being informed of something doesn't alter the factual state of it having already been so.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Well, if you knew something was bad for you to begin with you may not have done it. Once you find out, you stop... maybe.

I get what you're saying, actually. What's the big deal. Most of life is a mental game. That's what this would be.

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Egg wrote:Most of life is a mental game.
Now you're starting to skirt around what motivates me.

Aside from the pooping, eating, and fucking; brainless bacteria accomplish that just fine.......All of life is a mental game.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:16 pm

I'll agree with that. Point of view, outlook, it's what distinguishes one of us from another in a deeper way. It's the fingerprint of a culture. It's religion. It is indeed everything.

It's literally magic. The more people you can get to believe in something, the more that something is real.

Chances are none of us will ever go to space, so the idea that the earth is round is just that, an idea. For most of us believing the earth is flat would change very little but we'd argue over it for days on a fucking internet forum if we believed that was the truth.

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:20 pm

But it is like that..... I might have loved to eat hotdogs at one point, and then somebody told me how hotdogs are made..... blechhhh, I won't be eating them anymore.

Ignorance is bliss.

I agree that all of life is a mental game, we play it out in our minds daily.... what will I do today, who will I meet, will I make it to work on time if I keep hitting every red light this morning. It often doesn't play out the way we want it to and there are twists and turns at every moment. But once you know something is a for sure thing it isn't a mental game anymore, it becomes a reality.

Reality sucks sometimes.
Last edited by Pam on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:27 pm

And, I forgot to mention, things that I "know" (such as the earth being round) I only know because "they" told me. No different than anybody from any culture down the millennia.

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:31 pm

"They" can be assholes sometimes. Once "they" decide something and "we" all believe it, it was all just fun and games and then "somebody" got hurt.