Methane plumes in Artic

Pigeon

Methane plumes in Artic

Post by Pigeon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Russian scientist Igor Semiletov of the International Arctic Research Centre at the University of Alaska Fairbanks revealed in an interview with The Independent that his team discovered 'powerful and impressive seeping structures (of Methane gas) more than 1,000 metres in diameter' during their survey of the Arctic Ocean earlier this year. 'I was most impressed by the sheer scale and the high density of the plumes. Over a relatively small area we found more than 100, but over a wider area there should be thousands of them,' Semiletov told The Independent's Steve Connor. This finding is important because methane is estimated to be 20 times as potent as carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas, and it could indicate that global warming is about to accelerate dramatically.

Source article

Link

This doesn't sound good.

Royal

Re: Methane plumes in Artic

Post by Royal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Wouldn't the article indicate their finding of black gold rather than increased global warming?

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Pigeon wrote:

Russian scientist Igor Semiletov of the International Arctic Research Centre at the University of Alaska Fairbanks revealed in an interview with The Independent that his team discovered 'powerful and impressive seeping structures (of Methane gas) more than 1,000 metres in diameter' during their survey of the Arctic Ocean earlier this year. 'I was most impressed by the sheer scale and the high density of the plumes. Over a relatively small area we found more than 100, but over a wider area there should be thousands of them,' Semiletov told The Independent's Steve Connor. This finding is important because methane is estimated to be 20 times as potent as carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas, and it could indicate that global warming is about to accelerate dramatically.

Source article

Link

This doesn't sound good.
I thought global warming doesn't exist ;)

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 pm

This has been theorized by legitimate climate scientists for 20 years. Piggish consumption is about to destroy the world.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:03 pm

I thought global warming doesn't exist ;)
over heard at the Rick Perry science camp, and promptly corrected. Can't be, there is no science.

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:08 pm

HAHA!!! It's the devil's work.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Pipe the stuff to Al Gore's monster house and burn it, that would cut the effects by a factor of 20.
Credo quia absurdum.

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Al Gore can blow me. I could care less about the political proponents and opponents.