Polar Bear Cannibalism

Pana

Polar Bear Cannibalism

Post by Pana » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:31 pm

As a further consequence of the polar ice melting and limiting polar bears from being able to traverse the terrain the incidents of polar bear cannibalism are on the rise.

t is an image that is sure to shock many people.

An adult polar bear is seen dragging the body of a cub that it has just killed across the Arctic sea ice.

Polar bears normally hunt seals but if these are not available, the big predators will seek out other sources of food - even their own kind.

The picture was taken by environmental photojournalist Jenny Ross in Olgastretet, a stretch of water in the Svalbard archipelago.

"This type of intraspecific predation has always occurred to some extent," she told BBC News.

"However, there are increasing numbers of observations of it occurring, particularly on land where polar bears are trapped ashore, completely food-deprived for extended periods of time due to the loss of sea ice as a result of climate change."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16081214
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Dr Exile

Re: Polar Bear Cannibalism

Post by Dr Exile » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Don't worry Pana, the fuzzy bear did not eat the baby bear, we all know that it was photo-shopped by the fraudulent climate change kooks.
Credo quia absurdum.

Pana

Post by Pana » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:21 am

Yeah, I know, I know...

all the arguments that people use to keep themselves in a little bubble and not change their living practices.

It's too late now. Its all fucking irreversible.

And..it will come back to fucking bite everyone.

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:27 am

Pana wrote:Yeah, I know, I know...

all the arguments that people use to keep themselves in a little bubble and not change their living practices.

It's too late now. Its all fucking irreversible.

And..it will come back to fucking bite everyone.
On the bright side, maybe the polar bears will come back to bite us. ;)

It's all horrible and we're (collectively) a bunch of short sighted greedy little shit heads who really don't care about anyone (not even ourselves), just our short term desires.

Pana

Post by Pana » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:38 am

Polar bears will bite them.
Food prices will bite them as crops engineered for certain temps will not be able to thrive.
Drought/water shortages.
Gasoline shortages.
Invasive species will take over native fauna.
...and on and on and on.

The polar bears make me really fucking sad though. And I can't save them. It's like being tied to a chair and watching everything you loved being slowly and methodically shot between the eyes by uncaring executioners.

-Albert Camus

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:11 pm

The polar bears make me really fucking sad though. And I can't save them. It's like being tied to a chair and watching everything you loved being slowly and methodically shot between the eyes by uncaring executioners.
The stupidity is overwhelming and depressing. The world seems locked in the embrace of evil idiots. There is an evolutionary reason that furry animals appear loving and cute to us. And when we see them die in misery a love based on altruism and self preservation should be provoked in us- were we not become coarse and less than human. Oh do not ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Pana

Post by Pana » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Schools should be serving a yearly course that builds on layers of knowledge:

You and Your Environment -
how your choices affect the environment
how collective choices affect the environment
activism in community environmental initiatives
...and so on.

From grade one up to grade 12.

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 pm

lkwalker wrote:
The stupidity is overwhelming and depressing. The world seems locked in the embrace of evil idiots. There is an evolutionary reason that furry animals appear loving and cute to us. And when we see them die in misery a love based on altruism and self preservation should be provoked in us- were we not become coarse and less than human. Oh do not ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.
We suck.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Big time
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14 pm

There are millions of cats and dogs that get gassed at dog pounds each year, we could feed them to the polar bears.
Credo quia absurdum.