Trucking those nukes

Pigeon

Trucking those nukes

Post by Pigeon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:55 pm

At least here we don't use Econolines, we use real trucks. I knew I should have signed up with that truck driving school I saw on TV.

As you weave through interstate traffic, you're unlikely to notice a plain-looking Peterbilt tractor-trailer or have any idea that inside the cab an armed federal agent operates a host of electronic countermeasures to keep outsiders from accessing his heavily armored cargo: a nuclear warhead.

Adam Weinstein writes that the Office of Secure Transportation (OST) employs nearly 600 couriers to move bombs, weapon components, radioactive metals for research, and fuel for Navy ships and submarines between a variety of labs, reactors and military bases.

Hiding nukes in plain sight and rolling them through major metropolitan centers raises a slew of security and environmental concerns, from theft to terrorist attack to radioactive spills.

'Any time you put nuclear weapons and materials on the highway, you create security risks,' says Tom Clements, a nuclear security watchdog for Friends of the Earth.

For security, cabs are fitted with custom composite armor and lightweight armored glass, a redundant communications system that links the convoys to a monitoring center in Albuquerque, and the driver has the ability to disable the truck so it can't be moved or opened.

The OST hires military veterans, particularly ex-special-operations forces (PDF), who are trained in close-quarters battle, tactical shooting, physical fitness, and shifting smoothly through the gears of a tractor-trailer.

But accidents happen. In 1996, a driver flipped his trailer on a two-lane Nebraska hill road after a freak ice storm, sending authorities scrambling to secure its payload of two nuclear bombs; and in 2003, two trucks operated by private contractors had rollover accidents in Montana and Tennessee while hauling uranium hexafluoride, a compound used to enrich reactor and bomb fuel.

Brochure

Pana

Re: Trucking those nukes

Post by Pana » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

:rofl:

That's hilarious!

I wonder if they tuck into a truck stop to have a bite.

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 pm

I had thought that a greasy spoon might be the only effective way to take down one. Brown bag only. :)

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Oh, yes! Those transfatty fats! That'd do it!
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 pm

truck stop = greasy spoon

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Pana wrote::rofl:

That's hilarious!

I wonder if they tuck into a truck stop to have a bite.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Launch site Echo

"We found'em."

"A bit late. We missed out on our part of WW3. No warheads for our missiles. Launch aborted."

"They are in the parking lot of an Subway, 23 miles north of here. Some problem with the price tuna melt on wheat."

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 pm

I took a roadtrip years ago with an ex. She loved subways tuna sandwiches (I don't). There are more subways at rest stops than McDonalds.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:22 pm

You never know today, about tuna. But then that could be said about most food.

"Subway sandwich prevents world war 3. President to pin citizen medal on foot long tuna on wheat."

Pana

Post by Pana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 am

Yup, if the nukes don't kill ya, the mercury will get ya.

Llllaawwwd. What have we come to? Between the devil and the deep blue sea.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus