Beware of the Hypno Stare

Royal

Beware of the Hypno Stare

Post by Royal » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:58 pm

"Compared with her normal state (top), a woman's "hypnotically induced stare" (bottom) may mark an altered state of consciousness, researchers propose."
Though less obvious than giant red swirls in the eyes, a glassy gaze that jumps around in bizarre patterns may mark a fake-proof hypnotic trance, researchers report.

Though scientists found this ocular giveaway in just one woman, the results suggest that that hypnosis truly is an altered state of consciousness, says study coauthor Sakari Kallio of the University of Skövde in Sweden and the University of Turku in Finland.

Kallio and his colleagues studied a middle-aged, healthy and highly hypnotizable woman. Normally outgoing and chatty, when the woman heard “hypno,” she withdrew and fell quiet, says Kallio.

Because one of the most striking changes was the appearance of a diffuse, unblinking stare, the researchers measured a series of involuntary eye features, such as pupil reflexes and quick movements.

Under hypnosis, the woman’s pupils were smaller than in normal conditions. What’s more, she had an abnormal pattern of small eye movements, called saccades, toward a target. The woman’s saccades were shorter and scarcer under hypnosis, the team reports online October 24 in PLoS ONE.

“Her eye movements were so strange,” Kallio says. And he adds that the woman herself agrees: “She thinks her eyes are scary when she sees the videos later.”

A group of 14 people watched videos of the hypnotized woman and tried to copy her strange eye behavior. But they couldn’t, suggesting that these eye movements can’t be faked.

Because the results are from a single person, larger studies are needed to know what these strange eye movements represent, says Irving Kirsch, a psychologist at Harvard Medical School’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston and the University of Plymouth in England. “It’s an interesting study,” he says, “but we’ll have to see if it’s generalizable.”
I noticed this glassy eyed stare in the religious types, people involved in hate speech, traumatic events (9/11) and pyramid schemers.
Last edited by Royal on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pigeon

Re: Beware of the Hypno Stare

Post by Pigeon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:30 pm

eyes to the soul

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Given that humans are driven by senses and the eyes are the major sensory input, having an effect on the eyes seem reasonable. The brain is probably operating in another mode and the eyes may then operate differently.

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 pm

:shock:

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:45 pm

More and more research coming out with brain/eye connections. Interrogators often look at eye movement to determine true or false statements.

Apply that knowledge to politicians and commentators and it's very laughable.

And that person that wears sun glasses indoors, be highly suspicious. lol

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:22 pm

And that person that wears sun glasses indoors, be highly suspicious.

Agreed.

Royal

Post by Royal » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:37 am

Blanchardstown woman says hypnotism cured her bizarre eating habits

Alison McGregor claims her diet never affected her weight but she does admit it was taking its toll on her social life.

A woman who used to survive on a diet of chips and waffles claims hypnotism cured her of her fussy food habits.

Alison McGregor explained that before she got help, even the thought of trying new foods would make her feel physically ill and have her reaching for the sick bucket.

The 23-year-old from Blanchardstown said: “When I was a child you know when adults would say, ‘They’ll eat if they’re hungry?’

“I never did, so I’d eat Petits Filous yoghurts or bananas but that would be it.

“As I got older I would only have a very basic diet of dry foods, like chips and waffles. Even the thought of trying new foods would make me heave and sometimes I’d go to try things but even the dish in front would make me feel sick.”

Alison – who works in admin – says her typical menu for the day would have comprised Weetos with no milk for breakfast, Petits Filous yoghurts for lunch and waffles for dinner, reports the Irish Mirror.

She claims her boring diet never affected her weight but she does admit it was taking its toll on her social life.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:59 pm

The old saying, You are what you eat.

She's like SpongeBob except brown and chocolate colored and soggy.