Psychological Resilience

Royal

Psychological Resilience

Post by Royal » Sun May 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Recent events in my life was about learning about "resllience".
"Resilience" in psychology is the positive capacity of people to cope with stress and adversity. This coping may result in the individual “bouncing back” to a previous state of normal functioning, or using the experience of exposure to adversity to produce a “steeling effect” and function better than expected (much like an inoculation gives one the capacity to cope well with future exposure to disease).[1] Resilience is most commonly understood as a process, and not a trait of an individual.[2]

More recently, there has also been evidence that resilience can indicate a capacity to resist a sharp decline in functioning even though a person temporarily appears to get worse.[3][4] A child, for example, may do poorly during critical life transitions (like entering junior high) but experience problems that are less severe than would be expected given the many risks the child faces.

There is also controversy about the indicators of good psychological and social development when resilience is studied across different cultures and contexts.[5][6][7] The American Psychological Association’s Task Force on Resilience and Strength in Black Children and Adolescents,[8] for example, notes that there may be special skills that these young people and families have that help them cope, including the ability to resist racial prejudice. People who cope may also show “hidden resilience” [9] when they don’t conform with society’s expectations for how someone is supposed to behave (in some contexts, aggression may be required to cope, or less emotional engagement may be protective in situations of abuse).[10]

In all these instances, resilience is best understood as a process. It is often mistakenly assumed to be a trait of the individual, an idea more typically referred to as “resiliency”.[11] Most research now shows that resilience is the result of individuals interacting with their environments and the processes that either promote well-being or protect them against the overwhelming influence of risk factors.[12] These processes can be individual coping strategies, or may be helped along by good families, schools, communities, and social policies that make resilience more likely to occur.[13] In this sense "resilience" occurs when there are cumulative "protective factors". These factors are likely to play a more and more important role the great the individual’s exposure to cumulative "risk factors". The phrase "risk and resilience"' in this area of study is quite common.

Commonly used terms, which are closely related within psychology, are "psychological resilience", "emotional resilience", "hardiness", "resourcefulness", and "mental toughness". The earlier focus on individual capacity which Anthony [14] described as the “invulnerable child” has evolved into a more multilevel ecological perspective that builds on theory developed by Uri Bronfenbrenner (1979), and more recently discussed in the work of Michael Ungar (2004, 2008), Ann Masten (2001), and Michael Rutter (1987, 2008). The focus in research has shifted from "protective factors" toward protective "processes"; trying to understand how different factors are involved in both promoting well-being and protecting against risk.

Egg

Re: Psychological Resilience

Post by Egg » Sun May 29, 2011 10:48 pm

It's all about resiliency, and never let the smiles fool you.

Check out the Bonn religion (Dzogchen) and the 7 Hells.

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon May 30, 2011 1:10 am

This was a catch phrase about fifteen years ago when I worked in community development. How to promote 'resiliency'. The book thinkers, cum social workers, were big on it.

After so many years working in the marginailzed areas, I personally believe resiliency is hardwired and occurs momentarily, leading one on to another path and ensuring that one stays on that path. It's connected to any of: intelligence, creativity, stubborness, disconnectedness (from the social norms relative to place and time) and yearning.

Royal, what was it in your life that brought you across to this?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon May 30, 2011 1:36 am

Pana wrote:
Funny you ask, it's as if I expected someone to ask that question:

I was giving advice to a friend on another forum when I was looking for some descriptive words about keeping a strong heart. At the same time, the Cadillac commercial comes on mentioning "excellent resilience". I then googled the word to make sure it can pertain to the heart. The above wikipedia entry on "Psychological Resilience" came up. After reading the entry, I noticed how recent events were about me acknowledging my resilience and strengthening it. Then, I thought it was appropriate for this forum- knowing how the members here have such excellent resilience (in a positive way).

I also had a dream about crashing my car I had for 10+ years. So I made resilience the appropriate mantra of the day. :)

Crazy and genius is a fine line.

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon May 30, 2011 1:41 am

Ah,! The car crash is symbolic, yes?! Of all the crappy things one endures and tires to pull through.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 am

Pana wrote:Ah,! The car crash is symbolic, yes?! Of all the crappy things one endures and tires to pull through.
Good analysis. :D

Yesterday I had a great day with friends at a pool party at 10am and stayed in the sun at the beach till 7pm. I am as red as a lobster. We were suppose to go out and drink but I was too tired and didin't want to show off my burns.

Car= body? ...maybe.

Some of my dreams have been premonitions. I had a week straight of tsunami dreams before the Japan earthquake. What makes it extra special - the last time I had those dreams was before the Christmas Day tsunami years ago. I also had a very special dream the day Osama Bin Laden was killed. And have shared the same dream with people over the net. I hope you can relate to the level of mystery I experience on a day to day, hour to hour, minute by minute, basis.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Martian translation, "Psychological Resilience" = "Get a life."
Credo quia absurdum.

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon May 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Dr Exile wrote:Martian translation, "Psychological Resilience" = "Get a life Job."

Set

Post by Set » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:21 am

Pana wrote:This was a catch phrase about fifteen years ago when I worked in community development. How to promote 'resiliency'. The book thinkers, cum social workers, were big on it.

After so many years working in the marginailzed areas, I personally believe resiliency is hardwired and occurs momentarily, leading one on to another path and ensuring that one stays on that path. It's connected to any of: intelligence, creativity, stubborness, disconnectedness (from the social norms relative to place and time) and yearning.

A Community Development Commissar :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Now how did I know that!?? :ugeek:
"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong". ---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Set

Post by Set » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:17 am

Set wrote:
Pana wrote:This was a catch phrase about fifteen years ago when I worked in community development. How to promote 'resiliency'. The book thinkers, cum social workers, were big on it.

A Community Development Commissar :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Now how did I know that!?? :ugeek:
The big word in Oz the late eighties was "empower" rather than "promote." I left my CD class with quizzical looks on their faces one Friday when I said, as a parting remark, "Isn't it a bit presumptuous to try to empower a peer (equal)?"
"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong". ---Johann Wolfgang Goethe