Addicted To Feeling Good

Egg

Addicted To Feeling Good

Post by Egg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:54 pm

I was just talking to somebody about this not too long ago. While I think there are those who may need anti-depressants to lead a somewhat normal life, I think that there are far too many people on them. Hey, life stinks sometimes. Get depressed, get a new hobby, work out, complain but learn the fine art of complaining in a way which is entertaining. Fucking hell. Whatever happened to caring enough about someone to listen to their problems once in a while.
Instead we have a new culture where everybody has to smile and if you're unhappy with something or are down for a bit there's something wrong with you. Fuck you and your fake smiles. A little darkness makes a person far more interesting.
Obviously, if you're always upset it might be time to change things up. But there are far too many people on this crap.

Has America become a nation of psychotics? You would certainly think so, based on the explosion in the use of antipsychotic medications. In 2008, with over $14 billion in sales, antipsychotics became the single top-selling therapeutic class of prescription drugs in the United States, surpassing drugs used to treat high cholesterol and acid reflux.

Once upon a time, antipsychotics were reserved for a relatively small number of patients with hard-core psychiatric diagnoses - primarily schizophrenia and bipolar disorder - to treat such symptoms as delusions, hallucinations, or formal thought disorder. Today, it seems, everyone is taking antipsychotics. Parents are told that their unruly kids are in fact bipolar, and in need of anti-psychotics, while old people with dementia are dosed, in large numbers, with drugs once reserved largely for schizophrenics. Americans with symptoms ranging from chronic depression to anxiety to insomnia are now being prescribed anti-psychotics at rates that seem to indicate a national mass psychosis.

It is anything but a coincidence that the explosion in antipsychotic use coincides with the pharmaceutical industry's development of a new class of medications known as "atypical antipsychotics." Beginning with Zyprexa, Risperdal, and Seroquel in the 1990s, followed by Abilify in the early 2000s, these drugs were touted as being more effective than older antipsychotics like Haldol and Thorazine. More importantly, they lacked the most noxious side effects of the older drugs - in particular, the tremors and other motor control problems.

The atypical anti-psychotics were the bright new stars in the pharmaceutical industry's roster of psychotropic drugs - costly, patented medications that made people feel and behave better without any shaking or drooling. Sales grew steadily, until by 2009 Seroquel and Abilify numbered fifth and sixth in annual drug sales, and prescriptions written for the top three atypical antipsychotics totaled more than 20 million. Suddenly, antipsychotics weren't just for psychotics any more.

Not just for psychotics anymore

By now, just about everyone knows how the drug industry works to influence the minds of American doctors, plying them with gifts, junkets, ego-tripping awards, and research funding in exchange for endorsing or prescribing the latest and most lucrative drugs. "Psychiatrists are particularly targeted by Big Pharma because psychiatric diagnoses are very subjective," says Dr. Adriane Fugh-Berman, whose PharmedOut project tracks the industry's influence on American medicine, and who last month hosted a conference on the subject at Georgetown. A shrink can't give you a blood test or an MRI to figure out precisely what's wrong with you. So it's often a case of diagnosis by prescription. (If you feel better after you take an anti-depressant, it's assumed that you were depressed.) As the researchers in one study of the drug industry's influence put it, "the lack of biological tests for mental disorders renders psychiatry especially vulnerable to industry influence." For this reason, they argue, it's particularly important that the guidelines for diagnosing and treating mental illness be compiled "on the basis of an objective review of the scientific evidence" - and not on whether the doctors writing them got a big grant from Merck or own stock in AstraZeneca.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/op ... 79987.html

IndicusMaximus

Re: Addicted To Feeling Good

Post by IndicusMaximus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:57 pm

There is no fucking lesson. People are assholes who are in denial about their absolute plague of an existence, and nothing will ever change. So just fuck the nearest hot chick mercilessly and then go to your God like a good soldier.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:02 pm

IndicusMaximus wrote:There is no fucking lesson. People are assholes who are in denial about their absolute plague of an existence, and nothing will ever change. So just fuck the nearest hot chick mercilessly and then go to your God like a good soldier.
BEWARE OF THE HUGGIE BEARS!

I think that says it all.

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Yeah no most of my day is spent wanting to die, but hoping and praying for some reason that actually I'm wrong.... but daily, hourly, minutely, secondly, I'm proven absolutely 100 percent correct.

Why can't I just lose all hope? I want to finish this shit! This stupid shit with these miserable creatures. Fuck why haven't they nuked each other yet? When are they gunna get to that?! Obviously they haven't nuked each other yet because I'm here, and they like flaunting around and torturing me with their piece of shitness.

I have GUNS in the house! I can DO this, but I need someone to eliminate all hope from my stupid dumbass mind. I'm guilty of all but the only sins that count.

Everything smells like shit today.

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Depression is a luxuriant, decadent indulgence. Fuckit. Just get over your cheap self and live.
"But that's no more true than saying the universe is ineluctably bound to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In the end it's all an entropic stew but in the meantime we got some serious livin' to do." Arthur Afterburn

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:28 pm

IndicusMaximus wrote:Yeah no most of my day is spent wanting to die, but hoping and praying for some reason that actually I'm wrong.... but daily, hourly, minutely, secondly, I'm proven absolutely 100 percent correct.Why can't I just lose all hope? I want to finish this shit! This stupid shit with these miserable creatures. Fuck why haven't they nuked each other yet? When are they gunna get to that?! Obviously they haven't nuked each other yet because I'm here, and they like flaunting around and torturing me with their piece of shitness.

I have GUNS in the house! I can DO this, but I need someone to eliminate all hope from my stupid dumbass mind. I'm guilty of all but the only sins that count.

Everything smells like shit today.
HAAA!!!!! That's fucking hilarious. Write that down!

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:32 pm

That's a cruel thing to say. Just live? Get over myself?

Well absolutely. I'll just go ahead and press this "get over myself" button.

This here.... this fucking place.... all the fucking people... everyone.... this is Hell, and I'm surrounded by nothing but demons.

Cartoonsyndicate

Post by Cartoonsyndicate » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:34 pm

If you're surrounded by demons enjoy them. Or at least learn something from them.
"But that's no more true than saying the universe is ineluctably bound to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In the end it's all an entropic stew but in the meantime we got some serious livin' to do." Arthur Afterburn

IndicusMaximus

Post by IndicusMaximus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 pm

That's bullshit. I can't enjoy something I don't enjoy.

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:40 pm

IndicusMaximus wrote:That's bullshit. I can't enjoy something I don't enjoy.
I have faith you'll find a way to make all of this work for you. Keep going.