Anyone Who Suffers From Physical Pain, Please Read

Egg

Anyone Who Suffers From Physical Pain, Please Read

Post by Egg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:15 am

Meditation Leads to Greater Pain Relief Than Morphine
Apr. 7 2011 - 9:29 am | 2,950 views | 0 recommendations | 0 comments
Meditation has been part of the human experience for a long, long time. The earliest reports of defined meditation practice date back to about 1500 BCE in India, and became part of Western practice during the Roman Empire. As neuroscientists have studied meditation, they’ve discovered some interesting ways in which it affects the physical structure of the brain. These include effects that can be seen in autonomic functions and neurotransmitters as well as changes in blood flow and brain wave activity.

Meditation has been extensively studied for its effects of stress reduction and other clinical functions, and there have been several preliminary studies in its potential as a pain relief treatment. Now researchers at Wake Forest have published a study measuring the physical effects of meditation on pain — and it turns out it might be more effective than morphine.

“This is the first study to show that only a little over an hour of meditation training can dramatically reduce both the experience of pain and pain-related brain activation,” said Fadel Zeidan, Ph.D., lead author of the study and post-doctoral research fellow at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.

“We found a big effect – about a 40 percent reduction in pain intensity and a 57 percent reduction in pain unpleasantness. Meditation produced a greater reduction in pain than even morphine or other pain-relieving drugs, which typically reduce pain ratings by about 25 percent.”

For the study, 15 healthy volunteers who had never meditated attended four, 20-minute classes to learn a meditation technique known as focused attention. Focused attention is a form of mindfulness meditation where people are taught to attend to the breath and let go of distracting thoughts and emotions.

Both before and after meditation training, study participants’ brain activity was examined using a special type of imaging — arterial spin labeling magnetic resonance imaging (ASL MRI) — that captures longer duration brain processes, such as meditation, better than a standard MRI scan of brain function. During these scans, a pain-inducing heat device was placed on the participants’ right legs. This device heated a small area of their skin to 120° Fahrenheit, a temperature that most people find painful, over a 5-minute period.

The scans taken after meditation training showed that every participant’s pain ratings were reduced, with decreases ranging from 11 to 93 percent, Zeidan said.

As I’ve mentioned before, I love this kind of research. I don’t think that the future necessarily has to be shiny and filled with genetic engineering, robots, and flying cars. I’m excited at the myriad means in which ancient techniques for a variety of things are being revived in the modern context and given the due scientific study that they deserve. I think there’s a rich area for research into improving people’s lives by studying the practices of our ancestors and refining those practices with the modern tools at our disposal.

Now, this doesn’t mean that everything’s going to turn out to be useful. There’s plenty of bad things in there, too. I don’t, for example, think that we’ll ever have any useful homeopathic hospitals. But I do think there’s plenty out there worthy of study.

http://blogs.forbes.com/alexknapp/2011/ ... -morphine/

MrPenny

Re: Anyone Who Suffers From Physical Pain, Please Read

Post by MrPenny » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:19 am

Even my modest experience in meditating knows this......hence, om mani and padme.

Ya'll will have to browse around the forums to see how this troll works.....

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:21 am

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You're two for two ;) Modestly... :D

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:21 am

I keep trying to meditate and things interrupt. I have tried while soaking in a hot bath, laying in bed, sitting on my couch even at a physio treatment where I was left for 15 minutes with a tens machine on.

Any noise distracts me and I can't not notice it and then I get thrown off.

I will keep trying!

I did almost do it once and I did feel relaxed afterwards but it is frustrating to be constantly distracted :(

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 am

Pam wrote:I keep trying to meditate and things interrupt. I have tried while soaking in a hot bath, laying in bed, sitting on my couch even at a physio treatment where I was left for 15 minutes with a tens machine on.

Any noise distracts me and I can't not notice it and then I get thrown off.

I will keep trying!

I did almost do it once and I did feel relaxed afterwards but it is frustrating to be constantly distracted :(
Pammy, whether it is your mind or your environment, things will distract you. Don't get frustrated, this is not a race or a homework project. Relax and simply bring your attention back to your breathing.

This is a practice - simply because you practice it. Just try and make it a daily thing. That's all...

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:28 am

Probably the best time is when I go to bed. I usually go early.... I have tinnitus so I put the TV on for white noise in the background and then just fall asleep with it on. My husband comes later usually after I have fallen asleep and turns the TV off.

Perhaps if I lay there and do the breathing instead I will have some success, the tinnitus is loudest for me at night for some reason. Probably because it is the only time there is quiet for me.

I will try this tonight instead of putting the TV on. I will persist for sure!!!

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:29 am

Pam wrote:Any noise distracts me and I can't not notice it and then I get thrown off.
Notice 'em.

Try to notice literally every single noise....

Notice do.....Okay.

Notice do not.....Okay.

Notice 'meh'......squish, like grape.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:11 am

For pain, laudanum, for tinnitus, pet crickets.
Credo quia absurdum.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Pam, one 'names' the distractions. Just acknowledge the sound, 'it's a creak or what it is', and let it go. Don't try to ignore it or get frustrated. The mind will dwell on those things less and less.

Egg

Post by Egg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Pigeon wrote:Pam, one 'names' the distractions. Just acknowledge the sound, 'it's a creak or what it is', and let it go. Don't try to ignore it or get frustrated. The mind will dwell on those things less and less.
I'm surprised you're not an owl. ;)