Philip K Dick

averagejoe

Philip K Dick

Post by averagejoe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:11 am

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.

Royal

Re: Philip K Dick

Post by Royal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Lets play with these ideas of reality for a second.

Say an averagejoe says "In reality, a chicken is always a chicken, it's never a faucet."

So how would one turn a chicken into a faucet? Well, you can start by calling chickens "faucets" and convince the majority of politicians, educators, businessmen in every country, state, religion, union and tribe and to redefine the word chicken with the nearest equivalent term of "faucet". This redefining can be achieved by monetary payment, fallacio, or bribery, and through means of, or threats of, war, extortion, kidnapping, or natural disasters ( as depicted in the exciting parts of the man made bible).

Then, pass laws to impose harsh fines and penalties to enforce the redefining process, and establish agencies with mindless thrill seeking drones in riot gear who view existence as a means to “earn a living” and “pay the bills”. It would now be accepted, on a world wide scale after the ovens and indoctrination of children, that there is no chicken wings, eggs, or feed, but rather faucet wings, eggs, and feed. This tragic transformation, essentially, the same playbook used on human beings, animals, plants and fungi (especially of the medicinal kind), and the facets of nature for hundreds of years to create the reality we see today. But wait...

Then the argument would be it doesn't output any water on demand, the squawking faucets excretes a percentage of water, but one shouldn't serve it to the children or be used to wash fruit. Plus, it should be fixed to a flat surface and connected to a tubing system in order to honor the definition of “faucet”. The neighborhood plumber, Pana, “Plumber Pana”, fixes this dilemma, by ringing the chicken's/faucet's neck and drills one hole through the butthole of the chicken and places a rubber tube, nozzle, and regulator and attaches the chicken to the countertop using plywood and an assortment of screws.

Now the argument would be that it’s not alive, creating a world wide debate whether it’s humane for faucets/chickens, these tools of higher intelligent beings, to be destined to live. A animal rights group convinces the court, and the world government now puts into law that all chickens/faucets must be alive. A group of doctors that rate in the top 1% of IQ tests develop surgical procedures to attach the tubing, nozzle, and regulator to the chicken/faucet under anesthesia. The world class procedure allows the chickens to live and produce eggs and be eventually slaughtered for dinner for it’s nutritious meat while coexisting as a faucet.

Plumber Pana attaches an extension of tubing and a tether, allowing it to leave the sink to achieve it’s daily rituals of roaming the living room in search of crumbs left by spoiled fat children and intercourse with the family dog or cat. The chicken continues to exist as a chicken in respect to his cultural definition: a domestic fowl kept for its eggs or meat, esp. a young one.

Technology advances. Human beings map the genomes of themselves and many animal species. Humans excel at creating nano technology, quantum computing and advanced algorithms to interface with the very magic of life: cells, DNA, organs, and neurons. They develop biologically friendly plastics and metals that is not rejected by human or animal immune systems. The process to breed and create faucet/chickens become easier and cheaper to the point they are making one third chicken, one third faucet, and one third artificial cybernetic system.

The need for more than 1 chicken/faucet for every household creates a vast empire of chicken faucets. And by means of radio frequency tags and grid computing, the cybernetic organisms come together and start deleting the human race until a peace treaty is reached and power changes hands from man to chicken/faucet. Thus, only after the Chicken Faucet Civil War in the Northern Territories and the following atrocities on it's mammalian counterparts, averagejoe admits in horrifying confidence that faucets can be chickens and chickens can be faucets.

"Reality" as being a construct of imagination, language, technology, and time, and imposition or restriction of these four concepts using various carriers to form a majority agreement and consensus on reality.

Or maybe someone’s last name is faucet, thus concluding someone to be a coward by alternative definition of the word chicken. Or the root words of faucet: fausset, from provencal falset, from falser ‘to ‘bore”. The word “bore” meaning to make a hole in something or hallow out, can directly apply to the ability of a chicken and making a chicken instantly, by means of historical definition, a faucet.

Certainly these shortcuts in understanding linguistic relativity can foil Pana’s creation of chicken/faucets and the eventual destruction of the human race.

Maybe once averagejoe said "In reality, a chicken is always a chicken, it's not a faucet." Phillip K Dick ghost, notorious for bending reality to his will, pays avergaejoe a visit at that very moment and says “Your right bro” “and write this down I have a quote for you”. And without hesitation you write it down and post it proudly not looking back. And he keeps the same:

lexicons

Modalities

Ontologies

Etymologies

and everything else to preserve the current sense of reality because anything outside the current programming is in fact

daunting.

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:09 pm

:rofl:

Plumber Pana?!!!

-------------

Seriously though, I was actually thinking along the same lines last night of which you have lightheartedly addressed and that averagejoe's approach to the nature of reality twigged in me. If it's applied within a social psychology framework and only the outside reality exists (which excludes the validity of one's perception) then by changing (through force, laws, propaganda) the social constructs, values and mores, you totally and completely change the society.

Its very, very common for corrupt dictators to surplant the existing reality (values, social constructs) and so on in order to achieve their means and gain support from the masses. Only the new way exists and the old ways are non-existent. If you cannot carry on in the new way, you too will become non-existent.

Which then carried me into the thoughts of how reality shapes personal values and vice versa. But on that one, I'm still mulling it over.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

averagejoe

Post by averagejoe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Royal wrote:Lets play with these ideas of reality for a second.

Say an averagejoe says "In reality, a chicken is always a chicken, it's never a faucet."

So how would one turn a chicken into a faucet? Well, you can start by calling chickens "faucets" and convince the majority of politicians, educators, businessmen in every country, state, religion, union and tribe and to redefine the word chicken with the nearest equivalent term of "faucet". This redefining can be achieved by monetary payment, fallacio, or bribery, and through means of, or threats of, war, extortion, kidnapping, or natural disasters ( as depicted in the exciting parts of the man made bible).

Then, pass laws to impose harsh fines and penalties to enforce the redefining process, and establish agencies with mindless thrill seeking drones in riot gear who view existence as a means to “earn a living” and “pay the bills”. It would now be accepted, on a world wide scale after the ovens and indoctrination of children, that there is no chicken wings, eggs, or feed, but rather faucet wings, eggs, and feed. This tragic transformation, essentially, the same playbook used on human beings, animals, plants and fungi (especially of the medicinal kind), and the facets of nature for hundreds of years to create the reality we see today. But wait...

Then the argument would be it doesn't output any water on demand, the squawking faucets excretes a percentage of water, but one shouldn't serve it to the children or be used to wash fruit. Plus, it should be fixed to a flat surface and connected to a tubing system in order to honor the definition of “faucet”. The neighborhood plumber, Pana, “Plumber Pana”, fixes this dilemma, by ringing the chicken's/faucet's neck and drills one hole through the butthole of the chicken and places a rubber tube, nozzle, and regulator and attaches the chicken to the countertop using plywood and an assortment of screws.

Now the argument would be that it’s not alive, creating a world wide debate whether it’s humane for faucets/chickens, these tools of higher intelligent beings, to be destined to live. A animal rights group convinces the court, and the world government now puts into law that all chickens/faucets must be alive. A group of doctors that rate in the top 1% of IQ tests develop surgical procedures to attach the tubing, nozzle, and regulator to the chicken/faucet under anesthesia. The world class procedure allows the chickens to live and produce eggs and be eventually slaughtered for dinner for it’s nutritious meat while coexisting as a faucet.

Plumber Pana attaches an extension of tubing and a tether, allowing it to leave the sink to achieve it’s daily rituals of roaming the living room in search of crumbs left by spoiled fat children and intercourse with the family dog or cat. The chicken continues to exist as a chicken in respect to his cultural definition: a domestic fowl kept for its eggs or meat, esp. a young one.

Technology advances. Human beings map the genomes of themselves and many animal species. Humans excel at creating nano technology, quantum computing and advanced algorithms to interface with the very magic of life: cells, DNA, organs, and neurons. They develop biologically friendly plastics and metals that is not rejected by human or animal immune systems. The process to breed and create faucet/chickens become easier and cheaper to the point they are making one third chicken, one third faucet, and one third artificial cybernetic system.

The need for more than 1 chicken/faucet for every household creates a vast empire of chicken faucets. And by means of radio frequency tags and grid computing, the cybernetic organisms come together and start deleting the human race until a peace treaty is reached and power changes hands from man to chicken/faucet. Thus, only after the Chicken Faucet Civil War in the Northern Territories and the following atrocities on it's mammalian counterparts, averagejoe admits in horrifying confidence that faucets can be chickens and chickens can be faucets.

"Reality" as being a construct of imagination, language, technology, and time, and imposition or restriction of these four concepts using various carriers to form a majority agreement and consensus on reality.

Or maybe someone’s last name is faucet, thus concluding someone to be a coward by alternative definition of the word chicken. Or the root words of faucet: fausset, from provencal falset, from falser ‘to ‘bore”. The word “bore” meaning to make a hole in something or hallow out, can directly apply to the ability of a chicken and making a chicken instantly, by means of historical definition, a faucet.

Certainly these shortcuts in understanding linguistic relativity can foil Pana’s creation of chicken/faucets and the eventual destruction of the human race.

Maybe once averagejoe said "In reality, a chicken is always a chicken, it's not a faucet." Phillip K Dick ghost, notorious for bending reality to his will, pays avergaejoe a visit at that very moment and says “Your right bro” “and write this down I have a quote for you”. And without hesitation you write it down and post it proudly not looking back. And he keeps the same:

lexicons

Modalities

Ontologies

Etymologies

and everything else to preserve the current sense of reality because anything outside the current programming is in fact

daunting.
It'd still be a fucking chicken mate, only we'd have renamed it a faucet - but the creature would still firmly remain in reality. Changing names of objects does not change reality. IMO.

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm

PS

I love P. K. Dick.

-Albert Camus

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Pana wrote:PS

I love P. K. Dick.
I have never read any of his books, I need to fix that.

Which one should I begin with?

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Pana wrote::rofl:

Plumber Pana?!!!
Take it as a complement, Pana. You often get things on track again with your interesting and well thought out comments. You get the flow of a discussion going again when the comments are just flowing over with silliness (OK, I'm soooo guilty) and leaking all over the place, making a complete mess!

;)

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:55 pm

That was a nice comment, Trauma. Thanks. I needed to hear that.

You probably seen many movies adapted from his novels:

Minority Report
Total Recall
The Adjustment Bureau

are a few of the bigger name movies.

-Albert Camus

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Pana wrote:That was a nice comment, Trauma. Thanks. I needed to hear that.

You probably seen many movies adapted from his novels:

Minority Report
Total Recall
The Adjustment Bureau

are a few of the bigger name movies.
I have only seen Minority Report. I don't get to see enough movies. And I love movies! Maybe that should be my new year resolution, to get my lazy ass to a cinema and the big screen more often.

And you are most welcome regarding my comment.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Pana wrote:PS

I love Dick...
too much information. (in before Indy...)
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi