U.S. to pay family $17.8M for Marine jet crash

Egg

U.S. to pay family $17.8M for Marine jet crash

Post by Egg » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 pm

A young friend of mine is disturbed by this. I'm not surprised.

To quote her: "the united states found the value of the loss of this man's entire family to be LESS than the value of the jet that caused it"

SAN DIEGO — A federal judge on Wednesday ordered the federal government to pay $17.8 million to the relatives of four family members who were killed three years ago when a Marine jet fighter crashed into a University City home.

U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Miller said Don Yoon, whose wife, Youngmi; daughters, Rachel and Grace; and mother-in-law, Seokim Lee, perished in the crash, should receive $9.6 million in compensation.

Miller ruled Sanhyum Lee, Seokim’s husband, should receive $3.7 million. Youngmi’s three siblings received $1.5 million each for the loss of their mother and sister.

The amounts covers lost wages and property as well as compensation for the loss of companionship, love and care of the four who died. Miller awarded Don Yoon a total of $6.1 million in noneconomic compensation for the deaths of his wife and children.

The decision is far less than the $56 million that the plaintiffs’ lawyers had sought.

The nonjury trial before Miller lasted about 2½ days earlier this month and was filled with wrenching testimony from the surviving family members about the effect the loss of their relatives has had on them.

Yoon testified that his wife and children were the loves of his life.

“When I was with my wife and kids, I had hope,” he said. “They were my happiness. They were my future. Youngmi and I had a dream. All we wanted to do was grow old and raise babies. Now, everything is gone.”

Before the trial, the U.S. government conceded it was at fault for the crash. But the two sides could not agree on how much compensation was owed. At the trial, government lawyers did not specify an amount that should be given to the families for noneconomic losses, such as companionship and love.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs planned to hold a news conference later Wednesday afternoon to discuss the decision.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... jet-crash/

Pigeon

Re: U.S. to pay family $17.8M for Marine jet crash

Post by Pigeon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:24 pm

I am surprised the government is even allowing itself to be liable. They usually screw up something and say 'Oh Well', 'sorry', 'we are immune'.

Wonder if this man cheers when the military blows up some terrorist and half the neighborhood he lives in.