Life after 30,000 years - from frozen seed

Pana

Life after 30,000 years - from frozen seed

Post by Pana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:34 am

Scientists in Russia have grown plants from fruit stored away in permafrost by squirrels over 30,000 years ago.

The fruit was found in the banks of the Kolmya River in Siberia, a top site for people looking for mammoth bones.

The Institute of Cell Biophysics team raised plants of Silene stenophylla - of the campion family - from the fruit.

Writing in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), they note this is the oldest plant material by far to have been brought to life.

Prior to this, the record lay with date palm seeds stored for 2,000 years at Masada in Israel.

The leader of the research team, Professor David Gilichinsky, died a few days before his paper was published.

In it, he and his colleagues describe finding about 70 squirrel hibernation burrows in the river bank.

"All burrows were found at depths of 20-40m from the present day surface and located in layers containing bones of large mammals such as mammoth, woolly rhinoceros, bison, horse, deer, and other representatives of fauna from the age of mammoths, as well as plant remains," they write.

"The presence of vertical ice wedges demonstrates that it has been continuously frozen and never thawed.

"Accordingly, the fossil burrows and their content have never been defrosted since burial and simultaneous freezing."

The squirrels appear to have stashed their store in the coldest part of their burrow, which subsequently froze permanently, presumably due to a cooling of the local climate.

Continued here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17100574
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Re: Life after 30,000 years - from frozen seed

Post by Pigeon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:00 am

I was just looking at this on another site. It would be pretty cool if this plant turned out to have some useful compounds in it.

Pana

Post by Pana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:13 am

I know! Its so cool.

I was actually thinking the other way: wondering if they would be vulnerable to the chemicals / pests of today.

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 am

If not, don't let it loose outside.

World killed by previously extinct plant. :)

Pana

Post by Pana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 am

:rofl:

I think they're was a movie about that from the fifties. :)

I think it would be neat to be in the know if you planted one of the thirty thousand year old plants next to it's modern equivalent.

I wonder what kind of chemical conversations they would be having with one another. :)

Plant communication is becoming a pretty big thing. I'd like to go to school for that.

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:50 am

Much good or much bad might happen. Hope they are careful.

Aren't many of today's plant still mostly unchanged from 1000s of years back.

Pana

Post by Pana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 am

Pigeon, a few years ago I read the book, "The World Without Us". One of the chapters dealt with a soil analysis farm thats been in existence for close to two hundred years. They have soil samples from every year since then and as you know soil can chart the increase/decrease of chemicals in the air/water table. It's interesting stuff. For example, the years during and after Chernobyl showed a huge increase in certain isotopes in the soil and the increase in machinery over the years is charted as well. I've been trying to find the name of it so I can show it to you.

The fellow who started the farm patented fertilizer in the US during the Industrial Revolution. Then did a full 180 and decried the use of fertilizers cause he realized, through his soil farm, that they depleted the soil over time.

I'll try and find it.

-Albert Camus

Pana

Post by Pana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am

Chapter 11:
Synopsis

Starts off by mentioning that by the process of farming, many people could be fed and they could settle down. They had created farms in New England with items such as cattle, pigs, and dairy cows, wheat and corn. The people would burn the brush to clear out forests so they could make hunting easier. Now in present day Massachusetts, white pine trees have come back from where it used to be farmland. Part 2 of the chapter talks about England and how it used to be farmland and many forests. And now today Britain and Ireland have literally none of their original forests. It then tells how John Bennet Lawes inherited the Rothamsted estate which is 300 acres of land made some advances and left behind some clues in relation to agriculture. He and other farmers for centuries noticed that white chalky powder would be dug up and that it would soften the soil. Justus von Liebig concocted some sort of fertilizer but hadn’t patented it so Lawes did and made his estate into a factory. So he and his partner John Henry Gilbert started testing fertilizers with nitrates and then later on, advanced fertilizers with manure. The partners bottled all their tests and if aliens were to come and find the samples, they would see that the pH levels dropped. Some of the samples are also deadly. In part 3 of the chapter it is basically about the effects of the fertilizers and the chemicals we have used that we didn’t know were harmful. Dr. Steven McGrath said that even if humans were to disappear, the metals we left in the ground would be there for a very long time. He has done tests on some of the crops of Rothamsted and says that metals could last up to 70,000 years in the soil. And that the fertilizers that used nitrates, will take a long time for that soil to recover. Part 4 of the chapter has to do with modifying and inserting different genes and hormones into plants and animals. Some modifications we have made include extending the shelf life of tomatoes, and making cows give more milk. Some say as the animals and plants that have modified genes evolve; the genes may be lost because they can’t compete with the other genes. Part 5 of the chapter talks more about the Rothamsted property and how Lawes and Gilbert had stopped tending two of the fields, and over the years up into the 20th century, different plant life and trees that had been there originally started to come back on its own. But since the soils had been tested previously with harsh chemicals, only some stronger plants are coming back. One employee predicts that after about a century with no humans, the fields will go back to “their unfarmed origins.”

and here is a link to the research farm started in the 1800's

http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/Content.php ... ge=Origins

-Albert Camus