Dyatlov Pass Accident

Pana

Dyatlov Pass Accident

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:47 pm

I've been reading about this incident over the last couple of days and have found it fascinating. The event itself has been slightly embellished by different websites but the one I've cited tries to get to the bottom of the facts.

During the night of the 1st of February 1959 a team of nine experienced cross country skiers abandoned their tent in the Russian Ural Mountains and fled to a nearby forrest. They were in such a hurry that they were only partially clothed and cut though the sides of their tent to save time. The temperature outside was minus 15 degrees. Within hours they were all dead. Rescuers recovered their bodies at two seperate times and discovered that whle some had frozen to death others had sustained injuries. Reports have made claims of high levels of radiation, strange lights in the sky, missing body parts, strange orange skin tones and even the possiblity of UFO involvement.

In brief, the rescuers and later investigators discovered that during the night, and for an unknown reason, the ski-team had apparently ripped or cut open their tent from the inside and fled from it into the snow in temperatures of approximately -15 to -18 degrees Celsius where there was a cross wind of approximately 10 – 15 kilometres per hour (20 – 30 knots). While not as cold as the -30 degrees often reported these were still very harsh conditions and survival would be limited to between three to eight hours depending on whether those involved could keep moving. At least five of the team had fewer cloths on than would have been expected and some may even have been barefooted. Within six to eight hours every member of the ski-team was dead.

The corpses were discovered at various distances from the camp site and showed little immediate outward sign of injury but on investigation it was discovered that two victims had a fractured skull (one severe), two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue. In addition, two of the victims' clothes were discovered to contain trace levels of radiation. Russian investigators finally closed the case stating only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths."

http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_1.html
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Egg

Re: Dyatlov Pass Accident

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Never heard of this. I"m guessing BE and Mur have. Reading these sorts of stories, my mind goes immediately to aliens, of course. It would seem to me if their are unknown entities out there, they may be much like us. I love to eat meat and I love animals. Seems they'd be much the same, and if there smarter or simply more powerful than we are, they'd treat us the same way. Which is why you have benevolent and malevolent sightings and stories.

Cool stuff, Pan.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:05 pm

I don't know, Egg. Orange lights were seen by another camping party fifty miles away. Were they aliens? Or some type of experimental Russian aviation vehicles.

They ran almost a mile away from the campsite to the edge of a forest where they built a fire. Two bodies were found there - in their underclothes. There is evidence that they climbed the pine tree underwhich they built the fire, to look back at their site? Three of them were found on a route back to their camp, heading in that direction, but at spaced out intervals. Four of them were found further into the forest, in a ravine. One of them had the pants of corpse from under the tree wrapped around her feet. Two of them had skull fractures and one had broken ribs that punctured her lung. She's also the one with the missing tongue which they think might have happened after she died (predator).

Why didn't they go back to their camp? This was the best means for survival - whatever scared them from their tent was so intense that they didn't want to go back!

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Pana wrote:I don't know, Egg. Orange lights were seen by another camping party fifty miles away. Were they aliens? Or some type of experimental Russian aviation vehicles.

They ran almost a mile away from the campsite to the edge of a forest where they built a fire. Two bodies were found there - in their underclothes. There is evidence that they climbed the pine tree underwhich they built the fire, to look back at their site? Three of them were found on a route back to their camp, heading in that direction, but at spaced out intervals. Four of them were found further into the forest, in a ravine. One of them had the pants of corpse from under the tree wrapped around her feet. Two of them had skull fractures and one had broken ribs that punctured her lung. She's also the one with the missing tongue which they think might have happened after she died (predator).

Why didn't they go back to their camp? This was the best means for survival - whatever scared them from their tent was so intense that they didn't want to go back!
Who knows? If they were frightened, they might not have been making rational decisions. What were they doing there in the first place?

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:20 pm

They were a goup of university friends taking a ski trip. They even documented their progress up to that night via photographs and journals. Cameras and journals were found in their tents.

-Albert Camus

Pam
Princess Feet

Post by Pam » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:35 pm

I have never heard of this story before, very eerie....... my first thought too was that it would have to have been some kind of unworldly event.

But I suppose it could have been a deranged mountain man that was after them. The tongue could have been cut from the woman's mouth at one point to try and shut her up??

The radiation is the only thing that makes you kind of wonder.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Yeah, Pam...this one just weirds me out the more I think about it.

The only foot prints found were from the nine of them. The footprints show that when they ran from the tent, they were scattered but they all came together when they hit the forest. They left in a panic attested to by the lack of clothing, shoes and cutting of the tent from the inside to get out (Why the hell wouldn't they take the time to leave via the entranceway?

Even if there was something that spooked you from your tent, you know that to survive you would have to go back to it. Yet they didn't until it was too late. The three that were found heading back to the tent (their bodies were in such a position to show that they were heading back into that direction) left it for so long that they died from hypothermia and dropped one right after another. The other four didn't even go back to the tent but headed deeper into the forest. Why? Why couldn't they go back to the tent?

And how did they get their injuries? These were called pressure injuries - not impact injuries. There were no signs of impact.

The radiation was found on only two of them. One man and one woman of the group that was found deeper in the forest. The radiation came from the woman's coat. It appears she died first and her coat was taken by one of the men to stay warm...before he too died.

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:06 pm

The lack of other tracks, if accurate, is pretty strange.

Truly scared and fearing for their lives.

Royal

Post by Royal » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Pana wrote:I've been reading about this incident over the last couple of days and have found it fascinating. The event itself has been slightly embellished by different websites but the one I've cited tries to get to the bottom of the facts.

During the night of the 1st of February 1959 a team of nine experienced cross country skiers abandoned their tent in the Russian Ural Mountains and fled to a nearby forrest. They were in such a hurry that they were only partially clothed and cut though the sides of their tent to save time. The temperature outside was minus 15 degrees. Within hours they were all dead. Rescuers recovered their bodies at two seperate times and discovered that whle some had frozen to death others had sustained injuries. Reports have made claims of high levels of radiation, strange lights in the sky, missing body parts, strange orange skin tones and even the possiblity of UFO involvement.

In brief, the rescuers and later investigators discovered that during the night, and for an unknown reason, the ski-team had apparently ripped or cut open their tent from the inside and fled from it into the snow in temperatures of approximately -15 to -18 degrees Celsius where there was a cross wind of approximately 10 – 15 kilometres per hour (20 – 30 knots). While not as cold as the -30 degrees often reported these were still very harsh conditions and survival would be limited to between three to eight hours depending on whether those involved could keep moving. At least five of the team had fewer cloths on than would have been expected and some may even have been barefooted. Within six to eight hours every member of the ski-team was dead.

The corpses were discovered at various distances from the camp site and showed little immediate outward sign of injury but on investigation it was discovered that two victims had a fractured skull (one severe), two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue. In addition, two of the victims' clothes were discovered to contain trace levels of radiation. Russian investigators finally closed the case stating only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths."

http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_1.html
If I was the Russian general, I would just file this incident in the "Don't Know WTF Happened" folder.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Pana wrote:Yeah, Pam...this one just weirds me out the more I think about it.
The case really is creepy.

Brian Dunning at "Skeptiod" (I know, I know!) wrote about this strange case back in 2008, and he has some rather down to earth theories about what happened to the nine skiers. It's all pure speculation, of course, but it makes sense and is an interesting read.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108