Brilliant idea...

Royal

Re: Brilliant idea...

Post by Royal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:42 am

I BELIEVE.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Questions that arise here as to whether ETs would have made the message as it is:
  1. Mixed case - I suppose it was to make those words seem more important but then a couple are mixed case. If it was simply an error in the state of bit 6 then I would wonder if more of the message was in error also. But then it seems to be OK (making word sense).
  2. & for 'and'
  3. closing conduit\ - seems kinda sci-fi
  4. 01 leading - old ascii charts call that HEADING - is that the real meaning or added just to make it look more computer-ish
  5. 0 ending. 0 ending might be a mimic of C programming where strings are terminated with a null (ascii 0) character. more computer-ish
  6. The extra 4 byte sequence and the 2 nine bit sequences. If they are errors, it seems lucky to have the rest of the message so intact. Shifting the whole bit pattern does not yield worded text.
  7. Why the need for the stops. People seem to grasp the idea of trying 8 bits and ascii. Why not just one long binary sequence.
  8. 'the' and 'but' - concise message much like a telegram yet those two words are included. Without them the message would still give the same meaning.
  9. 'out there' - a bit confusing. out there in mankind, in the universe. Are the bearers ET or human.
Hopefully those who were at the site recorded the patterns correctly.

The string is ending with '\0' which would be the escape sequence for null (chr 0). The '\' may not be part of the message....

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:26 pm

"We oPpose DECEPTION"

we oP (the message writers) Pose DECEPTION

Royal

Post by Royal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Aliens nonetheless. :)

Pana

Post by Pana » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:17 am

Pigeon, thanks again for your feedback and insight into this. I had always wondered about the message and wished for someone 'neutral' to be able to take a look at it.

As to the content of the message, I think that I like that it leaves it open ended and kind of WTF????...it gives people something to be curious about - things are still a mystery.

...and people need mysteries in life.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 am

As much as I would like to believe, I suspect it is off human fabrication.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:59 am

Yeah, i agree.

But man, the person who did it should be given the Creative Nobel Prize of the year.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus