Schrödinger's Conception

Pigeon

Schrödinger's Conception

Post by Pigeon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Schrödinger's Conception - a woman is actually pregnant 2 weeks before conception.

Arizona lawmakers have drawn up strict new abortion laws... that decree pregnancy begins two weeks before conception. Final legislative approval was given to a bill that would ban most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, handing Republicans their latest win in ongoing national efforts to impose greater restrictions on abortion. But the bill defines a foetus' gestational age 'as calculated from the first day of the last [mother's] menstrual period'.

Link

Royal

Re: Schrödinger's Conception

Post by Royal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:23 pm

I will leave this to Bill Hicks...

I, ah...this abortion issue in the States is dividing the country right in half. You know, and even amongst my friends - we're all highly intelligent - they're totally divided on the issue of abortion. Totally divided. Some of my friends think these pro-life people are just annoying idiots. Other of my friends think these pro-life people are evil fucks. How are we gonna have a consensus? I'm torn. I try and take the broad view and think of them as evil, annoying fucks...

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Not so much an abortion issue as the issue of declaring an event to have happened before it did. of course they are using it for a time frame in the abortion issue.

maybe the women should decide this issue.

Royal

Post by Royal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:23 pm

Pigeon wrote: ...maybe the women should decide this issue.
Exactly

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 am

Can you image the uproar if a woman was a sports commissioner, top person making decisions on hunting, tools, NASCAR or other 'manly things'.

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 am

MMA Referee

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:16 am

Bill Hicks explains the "Littles Miracles"

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:54 am

Pregnant before conception? Wow! I hear immaculate conception in here!

I've been reading a book on women's life in the seventeen century. Haven't got too far into it yet but would like to draw attention to the practice of marriage. Girls were married off by 14 to men much older than them. The girl's came with their "portion" (dowry) which was much sought after in terms of the prestige or financial gain it could offer to the prospective bridegroom. Each prospective husband was scrutinized by the potential bride's father for what he could bring to the father in terms of financial or prestige. The girl was a pawn.

Legally, a girl younger than 14 could be married off before then but it could not be consummated until the age of 14. She was her father's property until she became her husband's property.

If you were poor, you actually could hold a job and make money for yourself. In one way, a lower class woman had more autonomy over herself.

We're lucky, today. I don't think we realize how lucky we are compared to those who came before us.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 am

Women should be farther ahead given the progress the planet has made. Those in power are still holding onto some things that they shouldn't to keep control.

Women still vote for these GOP types? Must be the trophy wives with the rich husband's credit cards.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:29 pm

i don't know...

I think compared to a couple million years of having males sexually hoist themselves on us that we're doing pretty good. :)

I wish humans we're further ahead in terms of egalitarianism but they're doesn't seem to be a big push to teach ourselves that as a cultural force.

I've always wondered who votes for the conservatives as well. The religious right...
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus