Massive planet 10 times bigger than Jupiter discovered

UFOs have a separate forum.
Pigeon

Massive planet 10 times bigger than Jupiter discovered

Post by Pigeon » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:38 pm

Scientists have discovered a giant planet orbiting a massive pair of extremely hot stars, an environment previously thought too inhospitable for a planet to form in.

A research article published Wednesday in the science journal Nature said the discovery of the planet, named “b Centauri (AB)b” or “b Centauri b,” disproves a widely held belief among astronomers.

“Until now, no planets had been spotted around a star more than three times as massive as the Sun,” wrote the European Southern Observatory, which photographed the planet from its Very Large Telescope in the Chilean desert.

The “B-type” dual star, which sits at the center of a solar system in the Centaurus constellation, is extremely massive and hot. It emits large amounts of high-energy ultraviolet and X-ray radiation, which has “a strong impact on the surrounding gas that should work against planet formation,” the European Southern Observatory said.

“B-type stars are generally considered as quite destructive and dangerous environments, so it was believed that it should be exceedingly difficult to form large planets around them,” Janson said in a news release.

The newly discovered b Centauri (AB)b is an exoplanet, a planet outside our own solar system, and it “is 10 times as massive as Jupiter, making it one of the most massive planets ever found,” the observatory wrote.

Let's just call it Jumbo.

Pana

Re: Massive planet 10 times bigger than Jupiter discovered

Post by Pana » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 am

They have found what, over 3,000 or 4, 000 exoplanets now? Do you remember when they found the first one back in the early nineties? It made the front page of the news. It was exciting! It still is.

I'm really pumped about the JWT and hoping it can shed more light on the atmospheres of the planetary systems so far deemed to be within the goldilocks zone.

In many ways, it's such a great time to be alive. What Kepler, Galileo, Copernicius, Newton, Cassini just to name a few, would have given to have access to the info we do.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:18 am

Many in Society would love to go back to imprisoning men of science. Look at wha tis said of Fauci. Good news is those people in today's world never get around to doing things such as that. They are more of the talk much, do nothing stance.

Science will move forward. I just worry for the Earth.

Pana

Post by Pana » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:25 am

Me too, Pigeon.

I sold my car a few years back and get around by walking and biking. I walk just under six miles round trip to work and back during the week (winter) and then ride it in the other seasons. I'm trying to do my best to help. My kids also make choices that consider their impact.

I would like to see more legislated behavioural change. People, for the most part, want what is convenient and easy. They won't change unless they are forced. I would much prefer a legislated forced change than mother nature's enforced changes because her changes will be the bite you in ass, permanent changes.

THe US has seen a huge undermining of scientific inquiry and relevance since Trump came on. Other parts of the world did not follow suit however and we (outside of the U.S.) are making some inroads into helping things a long. Free public transport is becoming more common in Europe. It's being talked about here in Canada (small steps!) and we are seeing huge interest in car co-ops up here.

I am sorry for what I seen happening to Fauci. He's a decent fellow.

By the way, PIgeon, most of the world was aghast at what we seen the U.S. going through under Trump.

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 am

It says a lot, not possitive, about half of the US population.

Many people in the US think freedom means thay can do whatever they desire, not matter the consequences to others. Combine that with a low level of knowledge and reasoning skills and you get society today.

The worst part is leaders and average people making up things and people believing without questioning. I didn't think it would drop to this level so quickly. But a president who engaged in the practice has set a really bad exaple and the ignorant and hateful can't escape it and embrace it.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:03 pm

Personal choice versus civic duty, yes? The erosion of feeling responsible for your society has increased.

Do you think it will swing back, Pigeon?

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:29 am

Not anytime soon. Too many people just don't care and won't change.