The meditation of cooking

TraumaT

Re: The meditation of cooking

Post by TraumaT » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 pm

lkwalker wrote:A simple taste of Italian love.

Heat a big pan on the stove top.

1. Add some salt to the dry hot pan.
2. Pour in some light olive oil- 1/4 inch
3. Add some ground pepper
4. Add a few tablespoons of chopped fresh garlic
5. Reduce the heat and let it all cook for about ten minutes.
6. Gather the family around the stove.. children to grand parents
7. Everyone equipped with a bottomless glass of red wine breaks fresh Italian bread or baguettes and dips in the pan, swirling to capture some garlic.
8. Drink your wine, eat your bread, laugh and hug and carry on like tomorrow will never intrude. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Serves as many as will fit around the stove.
Note: This is a religious experience.
Come to my igloo and cook for me.

Mmmmmm..... Italian food.

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:18 pm

lkwalker wrote:A simple taste of Italian love.

Heat a big pan on the stove top.

1. Add some salt to the dry hot pan.
2. Pour in some light olive oil- 1/4 inch
3. Add some ground pepper
4. Add a few tablespoons of chopped fresh garlic
5. Reduce the heat and let it all cook for about ten minutes.
6. Gather the family around the stove.. children to grand parents
7. Everyone equipped with a bottomless glass of red wine breaks fresh Italian bread or baguettes and dips in the pan, swirling to capture some garlic.
8. Drink your wine, eat your bread, laugh and hug and carry on like tomorrow will never intrude. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Serves as many as will fit around the stove.
Note: This is a religious experience.
You forgot the balsamic vinegar. Not religious for me, more spiritual, dare I say... Sensuous.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.
Emerson

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Since this is the Philosophy forum the first order of business is always definition of terms.

To me a religious experience is one that is irrationally inspiring or even epiphanous. I have no idea if that comports with your idea of the spiritual. I've always considered 'spiritual' to be an essentially meaningless term but I'm certainly willing to learn.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Egg

Post by Egg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:05 pm

That definition sounds about right.

I like your sig. Was just talking to someone about something similar. Some are not only complicit but they need it.

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:13 pm

lkwalker wrote:Since this is the Philosophy forum the first order of business is always definition of terms.

To me a religious experience is one that is irrationally inspiring or even epiphanous. I have no idea if that comports with your idea of the spiritual. I've always considered 'spiritual' to be an essentially meaningless term but I'm certainly willing to learn.

Religion to me is Spirituality with doctrine, guidelines, man made laws. I'm all about un-polluted.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.
Emerson

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Religion per se can be just that- a mental enslavement, idolatry. But what you're describing is what I call institutional religion- which has nothing at all in common with epiphany.

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 pm

lkwalker wrote:Religion per se can be just that- a mental enslavement, idolatry. But what you're describing is what I call institutional religion- which has nothing at all in common with epiphany.
Agreed. But within the present paradigms the word religion or religious denotes for me anyway a strict way of thinking, beliefs also, which I steer clear of. The word spiritual in my mind and certainly with the way I use it has a virgin context.

If someone tells me they have a religious experience I do sometimes assume a certain frame of mind from the use of the word.
Emerson

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Agreed. But within the present paradigms the word religion or religious denotes for me anyway a strict way of thinking, beliefs also, which I steer clear of.
That's the benefit of defining terms.

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:43 pm

lkwalker wrote:
Agreed. But within the present paradigms the word religion or religious denotes for me anyway a strict way of thinking, beliefs also, which I steer clear of.
That's the benefit of defining terms.
Yes it is, and I will make sure to continue feeding everyone my definitions. Point taken.
Emerson