'It was like in Titanic': Luxury cruise ship runs aground, 3

WatchDog

'It was like in Titanic': Luxury cruise ship runs aground, 3

Post by WatchDog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Various reports say between three and eight people have been killed and at least 30 others injured as an Italian cruise liner with 4,000 passengers on board hit a sandbar off the Italian coast. The rescue operation is underway with 69 people missing.

Over 4,000 people, including 3,200 passengers, have immediately been evacuated to safety, while coast guard officers struggled to rescue 200 others stuck on the ship, AFP news agency reports. Rescue teams used helicopters with spotlights to locate the stranded passengers.

Italian authorities said that they have recovered three bodies from the sea. More deaths have not been confirmed. One of the victims is a 70-year-old man, who did not survive the shock of jumping into icy water from the listing liner.

Among the 30 people reported injured, majority sustained only bruises, but at least two people are said to be in a serious condition, AP news agency reports. According to the Russian Embassy in Rome, over 100 Russian tourists were on board the ship. Interfax news agency cited Russian diplomats as saying that as of yet they have no information on whether any of them were harmed. The first group of Russian tourists saved from the liner has reportedly arrived in Rome.

The 290-meter-long Costa Concordia, on a cruise from Civitavecchia port near Rome to Marseille, hit a sandbar at about 8pm local time near the island of Giglio while the passengers were having dinner. The ship was three hours into the voyage to Savona, its first port of call in northwestern Italy.

"We were having supper when the lights suddenly went out, we heard a boom and a groaning noise, and all the cutlery fell on the floor," passenger Luciano Castro was quoted by ANSA news agency as saying.

Some passengers reportedly jumped off the ship into the water. "It was like a scene from Titanic," passenger Mara Parmegiani was quoted by AFP as saying.

Passengers complained they were not instructed properly on how they should evacuate in case of emergency and said that the evacuation drill was scheduled only for Saturday afternoon.

"It was so unorganized. Our evacuation drill was scheduled for 5pm," American passenger Melissa Goduti was quoted by AP as saying." We had joked ‘what if something had happened today?’"

With the ship tilting too far, many failed to get on life rafts as they simply would not reach the cold water, survivor Christine Hammer told Agence France Presse. The passengers were eventually rescued by boats in the area which came to their aid.

The ship is now reportedly out of danger of sinking, with one of its sides lying on the sandbar it hit. Scuba divers are searching its lower decks to try and locate more passengers.

This is not the first accident involving the Concordia. In 2008, the cruise ship smashed against the Sicilian port’s dock in rough winds, but, says ANSA news agency, nobody was injured in that incident.

http://rt.com/news/cruise-ship-italy-aground-789/
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. Carl Sagan

Pigeon

Re: 'It was like in Titanic': Luxury cruise ship runs agroun

Post by Pigeon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Holy cow. Crack navigators on staff.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:41 pm

I just read about this in Norwegian news, what a horrible accident. Or mess up, whatever the cause is.

I have always imagined that drowning must be an awful way to die.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 pm

At least it wasn't people getting sick from some unknown bug. Minor improvement, back to old school disasters.

They are lucky it was not worse in the toll count.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:20 pm

I actually think I would have prefered a bug. Well, if it's not to horrific, anyway.

Being in the water, exhausted after trying to get to land or something to hold on to, and then sinking... And then the last couple of seconds before your lungs can't stand it any longer and you just have to try breathing, filling your lungs with water.... A complete and utter nightmare to me.

My grandfather was a farmer and fisherman, and he once told me that the old school fishermen refused to learn how to swim. They figured, it the boat went down, no need to drag it out. Better to sink at once and get it over with. Shudder.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:09 pm

I learned to fly before they invented GPS, so I had to learn celestial navigation. Came in handy one night when the power went out on the old plane. I came to the conclusion that GPS fowled up learning.

When I gave up flying and moved onto an old yacht, I got a kick out of the foibles caused by reliance on GPS. One night on my friends schooner we were en route to an island that had the same name as one in Tierra del Fuego. (Cape Horn) The owner of the schooner was going nuts with the GPS because he new the island was not south, but west. He fought the thing until the batteries went dead, then rummaged around in the hold with a flash light to find more. Meanwhile I had taken a shot with a french "hockey puck", a high end pocket compass with a radium dial, then looked up to the rigging at the stars. For the next four hours I navigated by star light while he futzed and cursed the GPS. When he got it to work after four hours he looked up at me with amazement and said, "Jesus, your'e dead on the nuts!"

Sacramento reef, off the coast of Baja has been on the charts for years, but GPS lovers hit the rocks on a regular basis because it is far off shore, and the GPS screens are too small to show the rock. The rock is on a strait line course south from San Diego, so WHACK, people die.

Someday Jesus will hear my prayers and send Lord Ghidorah the space monster to eat the damn GPS satellites.
Credo quia absurdum.

WatchDog

Post by WatchDog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:02 pm

I posted this exclusivly to TD, and not on amkon and TD, i felt it gets more just here.

and yea this is terrible.
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. Carl Sagan

WatchDog

Post by WatchDog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:02 pm

lol i cant use a GPS, never bothered to learn it, i use compass and map, and on nights i use the stars to navigate. So there its said. im an old timer

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:39 am

Word is that the captain has been arrested. Seems he abandoned ship with passengers still on board. They don't make captains like they use to.

WatchDog

Post by WatchDog » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:04 am

Pigeon wrote:Word is that the captain has been arrested. Seems he abandoned ship with passengers still on board. They don't make captains like they use to.
he did what? didnt he learn a captain goes down with the ship. he should be prosecuted and hanged by hes balls untill hes balls is dead.