The Rape of Men

Pana

The Rape of Men

Post by Pana » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:59 am

The article is long. I've excerpted a few paragraphs. Full article is here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ ... ape-of-men

The rape of men

Sexual violence is one of the most horrific weapons of war, an instrument of terror used against women. Yet huge numbers of men are also victims. In this harrowing report, Will Storr travels to Uganda to meet traumatised survivors, and reveals how male rape is endemic in many of the world's conflicts

Of all the secrets of war, there is one that is so well kept that it exists mostly as a rumour. It is usually denied by the perpetrator and his victim. Governments, aid agencies and human rights defenders at the UN barely acknowledge its possibility. Yet every now and then someone gathers the courage to tell of it. This is just what happened on an ordinary afternoon in the office of a kind and careful counsellor in Kampala, Uganda. For four years Eunice Owiny had been employed by Makerere University's Refugee Law Project (RLP) to help displaced people from all over Africa work through their traumas. This particular case, though, was a puzzle. A female client was having marital difficulties. "My husband can't have sex," she complained. "He feels very bad about this. I'm sure there's something he's keeping from me."

Owiny invited the husband in. For a while they got nowhere. Then Owiny asked the wife to leave. The man then murmured cryptically: "It happened to me." Owiny frowned. He reached into his pocket and pulled out an old sanitary pad. "Mama Eunice," he said. "I am in pain. I have to use this."

Laying the pus-covered pad on the desk in front of him, he gave up his secret. During his escape from the civil war in neighbouring Congo, he had been separated from his wife and taken by rebels. His captors raped him, three times a day, every day for three years. And he wasn't the only one. He watched as man after man was taken and raped. The wounds of one were so grievous that he died in the cell in front of him.

It's not just in East Africa that these stories remain unheard. One of the few academics to have looked into the issue in any detail is Lara Stemple, of the University of California's Health and Human Rights Law Project. Her study Male Rape and Human Rights notes incidents of male sexual violence as a weapon of wartime or political aggression in countries such as Chile, Greece, Croatia, Iran, Kuwait, the former Soviet Union and the former Yugoslavia. Twenty-one per cent of Sri Lankan males who were seen at a London torture treatment centre reported sexual abuse while in detention. In El Salvador, 76% of male political prisoners surveyed in the 1980s described at least one incidence of sexual torture. A study of 6,000 concentration-camp inmates in Sarajevo found that 80% of men reported having been raped.

I've come to Kampala to hear the stories of the few brave men who have agreed to speak to me: a rare opportunity to find out about a controversial and deeply taboo issue. In Uganda, survivors are at risk of arrest by police, as they are likely to assume that they're gay – a crime in this country and in 38 of the 53 African nations. They will probably be ostracised by friends, rejected by family and turned away by the UN and the myriad international NGOs that are equipped, trained and ready to help women. They are wounded, isolated and in danger. In the words of Owiny: "They are despised."

Jean Paul was at university in Congo, studying electronic engineering, when his father – a wealthy businessman – was accused by the army of aiding the enemy and shot dead. Jean Paul fled in January 2009, only to be abducted by rebels. Along with six other men and six women he was marched to a forest in the Virunga National Park.

Later that day, the rebels and their prisoners met up with their cohorts who were camped out in the woods. Small camp fires could be seen here and there between the shadowy ranks of trees. While the women were sent off to prepare food and coffee, 12 armed fighters surrounded the men. From his place on the ground, Jean Paul looked up to see the commander leaning over them. In his 50s, he was bald, fat and in military uniform. He wore a red bandana around his neck and had strings of leaves tied around his elbows.

"You are all spies," the commander said. "I will show you how we punish spies." He pointed to Jean Paul. "Remove your clothes and take a position like a Muslim man."

Jean Paul thought he was joking. He shook his head and said: "I cannot do these things."

The commander called a rebel over. Jean Paul could see that he was only about nine years old. He was told, "Beat this man and remove this clothes." The boy attacked him with his gun butt. Eventually, Jean Paul begged: "Okay, okay. I will take off my clothes." Once naked, two rebels held him in a kneeling position with his head pushed towards the earth.

At this point, Jean Paul breaks off. The shaking in his lip more pronounced than ever, he lowers his head a little further and says: "I am sorry for the things I am going to say now." The commander put his left hand on the back of his skull and used his right to beat him on the backside "like a horse". Singing a witch doctor song, and with everybody watching, the commander then began. The moment he started, Jean Paul vomited.

Eleven rebels waited in a queue and raped Jean Paul in turn. When he was too exhausted to hold himself up, the next attacker would wrap his arm under Jean Paul's hips and lift him by the stomach. He bled freely: "Many, many, many bleeding," he says, "I could feel it like water." Each of the male prisoners was raped 11 times that night and every night that followed.

On the ninth day, they were looking for firewood when Jean Paul spotted a huge tree with roots that formed a small grotto of shadows. Seizing his moment, he crawled in and watched, trembling, as the rebel guards searched for him. After five hours of watching their feet as they hunted for him, he listened as they came up with a plan: they would let off a round of gunfire and tell the commander that Jean Paul had been killed. Eventually he emerged, weak from his ordeal and his diet of only two bananas per day during his captivity. Dressed only in his underpants, he crawled through the undergrowth "slowly, slowly, slowly, slowly, like a snake" back into town.

Because there has been so little research into the rape of men during war, it's not possible to say with any certainty why it happens or even how common it is – although a rare 2010 survey, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, found that 22% of men and 30% of women in Eastern Congo reported conflict-related sexual violence. As for Atim, she says: "Our staff are overwhelmed by the cases we've got, but in terms of actual numbers? This is the tip of the iceberg."

Later on I speak with Dr Angella Ntinda, who treats referrals from the RLP. She tells me: "Eight out of 10 patients from RLP will be talking about some sort of sexual abuse."

"Eight out of 10 men?" I clarify.

"No. Men and women," she says.

"What about men?"

"I think all the men."

I am aghast.

"All of them?" I say.

"Yes," she says. "All the men."

The research by Lara Stemple at the University of California doesn't only show that male sexual violence is a component of wars all over the world, it also suggests that international aid organisations are failing male victims. Her study cites a review of 4,076 NGOs that have addressed wartime sexual violence. Only 3% of them mentioned the experience of men in their literature. "Typically," Stemple says, "as a passing reference."

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

IndicusMaximus

Re: The Rape of Men

Post by IndicusMaximus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:49 pm

The ugly truth is that everyone wants to rape each other. Really.

Think about your beastly urges. Think about the easiest way to satisfy them. Rape.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will see God.

Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehovah.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Don't forget the US prisons.
Credo quia absurdum.

Pana

Post by Pana » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 am

IndicusMaximus wrote:The ugly truth is that everyone wants to rape each other. Really.

Think about your beastly urges. Think about the easiest way to satisfy them. Rape.

That could be one truth, for some people.

But there's a whole bunch of other truths out there that still motivate people to be decent to themselves and each other.

In terms of the beastly urges...you aptly named them.

But most of us are not beasts. We are human.
Last edited by Pana on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Albert Camus

Pana

Post by Pana » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:50 am

Dr Exile wrote:Don't forget the US prisons.
The problem exists in prisons yes, but it actually exists very much in the realm of guys being sexually assaulted/raped just like women.

The UK is putting a focus on this by doing a campaign on male victims of sexual violence. It's vastly under reported as males, probably more so than females, feel even more humiliated and misunderstood. It is hard for a woman to say she was raped. It is even harder for a man to own up to that.

I knew about the raping of women taken as prisoners during civil war. I was not aware that this also happened with the men. The article was very shocking.

-Albert Camus

WatchDog

Post by WatchDog » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. Carl Sagan

skunk

Post by skunk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:31 pm

IndicusMaximus wrote:The ugly truth is that everyone wants to rape each other. Really.

Uh...no? The easiest way would be jacking off, and I don't see how most sane people would want to violate another. You have to be seriously fucked in the head to want to commit such a heinous act.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:35 pm

skunk wrote:

Uh...no? The easiest way would be jacking off, and I don't see how most sane people would want to violate another. You have to be seriously fucked in the head to want to commit such a heinous act.
Rape is not about sexual frustration at all, in most cases. It is very often about rage and the need to dominate, control and humiliate another human being. Jerking off will not remove that urge. Some rapists will actually use objects to penetrate and hurt if they are not physically able to "perform".

I believe Indy is right, in a way. The need to be in control, the need to be alfa male or alfa female is part of human instinct, and some people see humiliating and hurting others as the only way to gain that control. Maybe because of some very deep feeling of being inferior and helpless, and the rage that creates. Some people become asshole psycho bosses who make life hell for the people lower down in the hiearchy, some people become rapists. I think it is different manifistations of the same psychological mechanisms.