Disposed with all body parts intact

Pana

Disposed with all body parts intact

Post by Pana » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:12 am

I've been following this for the last few years. China never ceases to amaze me on how low they can go and how heartless they can be.

China pledges to phase out prisoner organ donations
China pledges to phase out prisoner organ donations
China will limit its widespread practice of harvesting transplant organs from executed prisoners over the next three to five years as the country moves to establish a nationwide donation system, the official news agency has reported.

AFP - A Chinese health official has vowed executed inmates will no longer be the main source of organs for transplants in three to five years, as the country sets up a donation system, state media said.

China has long vowed to reduce its reliance on death-row inmates for organs, but high demand and a chronic shortage of donations mean they have remained a key source -- a situation that has generated heated controversy.

But Huang Jiefu, vice health minister, said the government wanted to abolish this practice altogether and was in the process of setting up a nationwide organ donation system, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

"China... promises that within three to five years, it will completely change the abnormal method of relying mainly on death row inmates to obtain transplant organs," Huang was quoted as saying in the report late Thursday.

The health ministry would not confirm his comments when contacted by AFP.

Beijing banned the trade in human organs in 2007 and two years later began rolling out a nationwide donation system, which Huang said was currently being trialled in 16 provinces and cities.

But demand for organ transplants still far exceeds supply in the country of 1.3 billion people.

An estimated 1.5 million people need transplants every year, but only around 10,000 are carried out, the report said, citing health ministry statistics, opening the door to the illegal sale of organs and forced donations.

Organ donations are not widespread in China, where many people believe they will be reincarnated after death and therefore feel the need to keep a complete body.

International human rights groups have long accused China of harvesting organs from executed prisoners for transplant without the consent of the prisoner or their family -- charges the government has denied.

In 2009, Huang said the rights of death-row inmates were respected and written consent from prisoners was required before their organs could be harvested, state media said at the time.

Nonetheless, he has repeatedly conceded that executed prisoners are not a proper source for organ transplants.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Royal

Re: Disposed with all body parts intact

Post by Royal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:40 am

Is this your usual Friday night reading?

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Friday night reading is lighter than Saturday night reading.

-Albert Camus

Royal

Post by Royal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:20 pm

So what's on your list tonight?

Pana

Post by Pana » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:14 am

Tonight is different.

Tonight I'm totally involved in my federal leadership convention.

My guy is winning on the fourth ballot.

The online voting has been attacked. :)

So what should have finished by five p.m. will go on until midnight.

-Albert Camus

Royal

Post by Royal » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:21 am

Who are the nominees and what does your favorite candidate have that the others don't?

Pana

Post by Pana » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 am

There are seven candidates that made it to this day.

Can I just say what I like about my choice?

Cause he's got fire, passion, smarts, guts, scrappiness, muscle, and he don't take no bullshit from the media.

But he's fair.

Also he wants to move a very left leaning party, the New Democrat Party, which traditionally always comes in third in elections, more to the centre left. Which will position is better to take down a very right leaning majority government that is currently in power.

Plus, he's from Quebec so can hold on to that province but still appeal to the Red Necks of the prairies.

-Albert Camus

Pana

Post by Pana » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:28 am

-Albert Camus